Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problem Charging Laptop

(!)

Member with 106 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Dec-2008, 11:39 AM #1
Problem Charging Laptop
Title is slightly misleading, but I don't know a better way to phrase it.

My laptop will only charge (or if battery is empty, run) when the power cord is placed at JUST the right angle. If it shifts even slightly, the charging indicator on the unit will turn off. It was working fine before this, no problems whatsoever. The battery itself isn't the problem, once it charges, it will keep the charge fine.

Any opinions on whether it's the cord or the unit itself? And if it is the laptop, is this something a repair shop could fix?

Thanks for your help.
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

01-Dec-2008, 11:52 AM #2
Sounds like the power jack in the laptop has a bad connection.
Yes a shop should be able to replace the power jack.
Member with 106 posts.

01-Dec-2008, 12:16 PM #3
Thanks for the help. Any idea about how much it'll cost me and about how long I'll be with out my comp?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

Experience: Gadget Guru
01-Dec-2008, 05:49 PM #4
Fixing a power jack is probably one of the nastiest things that can happen to a laptop, because it requires the tech to completely dismantle the computer to fix it - the joys of having it soldered to the motherboard!

Ask around - you will need to find a shop willing to 'crack open a case' in the first place (not all shops will do this, as laptops aren't as user friendly inside as a desktop). The cost will probably vary greatly because of this. Actual costs I can not give you, since I knew it was going to be expencive, so I did it myself on my clunker of a Gateway.

As for the old 'do it yourself' fix, unless you know how to solder to a circuit board, I would recommend not even attempting it - first, as I noted, taking apart a laptop isn't for the faint of heart (I still have an extra screw or two that never found their home after the first time laying around) - and second, the motherboard around where these jacks tend to be are extremely fragile. One wrong move, or an iron in the wrong spot burning something the wrong way, and you'll be replacing the board instead of soldering on a new jack (which, BTW, is another option - replacing a motherboard can sometimes be cheaper than getting someone to repair this problem - depending on the model of the computer).

A-N
Member with 106 posts.

03-Dec-2008, 04:25 PM #5
Well, I tried around, and the only place that quoted me an even reasonable rate took a look at it and claimed it was a problem with the motherboard itself (offered to switch a new one in, but @ $200 + Labor on a laptop that originally cost around 450 -- at a huge bargain though).

I'm pretty decent with Desktop repairs, but not so much with the laptops, and I don't have any experience with soldering.
K7M K7M is offline K7M has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 795 posts.

04-Dec-2008, 03:59 PM #6
Check these guys out. A little cheaper.
www.fixmyjack.com
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
charge, laptop, power cord

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!