Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CPU Overheating

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

06-Dec-2008, 05:20 AM #1
CPU Overheating
Hello!

I have a self built computer with the following specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M52L-S3
RAM: 4GB RAM
CPU FAN: AardWolf MY-0037 Copper/Alu CPU Cooler
Image: http://www.mrpc.se/bilder/kylning/my0037-medium.jpg

This computer is only about a month old, but it has already started acting up. When I run a heavy process, like a virus scan or photoshop, the computer suddenly shuts off. I downloaded SpeedFan and saw that the CPU temperature is 45-50 degrees celsius when idle! The GPU is also around 45. The chassi temperature is only 30-something degrees. When running a heavy process, the CPU temp rises to about 80 degrees!

The CPU fan is running at 2500 rpm, which it is supposed to. I applied the thermal paste which came with the CPU Cooler according to the manual. I've turned off S.M.A.R.T-fan, because I've heard this is bad.

How can I lower the CPU-temperature?

Thankful for answers
Fredrik
Computer Specs
Member with 2,713 posts.

Experience: continuing to learn.
06-Dec-2008, 07:49 AM #2
How much thermal paste did you use. Too much is as bad as none at all. Just need spot about the size of a BB or a matchhead and spread it evenly over the surface.

06-Dec-2008, 07:59 AM #3
The paste came in a small packet containing maybe 0,03 cubic centimeters. I didn't use it all, but it certainly was more than a BB.
Should I try to remove the CPU-fan and remove the paste and just leave a tiny bit or what should I do?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,713 posts.

06-Dec-2008, 08:12 AM #4
Get some rubbing alcohol on a clean lintfree rag and clean it GOOD. Then use the amount I stated. Too much is overkill.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,665 posts.

06-Dec-2008, 10:43 AM #5
The above is correct. Too much thermal compound acts as an insulator and actually impedes the transfer of heat energy.
The amd64 type cpu/hsf are about the only ones I recommend as being able to R&R without pulling the board. They are pretty easy to install.

1 Pull the hsf off
2 Clean all parts in either 99% or 91% alcohol; do not use the 70% stuff you find in the supermarket. It contains lanolin and will leave a residue. FWIW I use coffee filters wetted with the alcohol to do the initial cleaning ie remove most of the compound. These are slightly abrasive and do a good job of cleaning. Once done, finish the job with swabs
3 Once everything is dry, use a small amount of arctic silver [about the size of a BB] in the center of the cpu. Install the hsf however do not fully lock down the lever. Before locking down, give the hsf a few twists back and forth to spread the compound. Now lock it down and connect the fan lead.

Pw ON the system and let it stabilize for a few min then check the temps.

06-Dec-2008, 10:46 AM #6
BTW the arctic silver compound will improve after a few cycles of ON and OFF. You will see a small reduction of temp after a few days.

FWIW I used to have a 6400+ that ran @30C or so under light load. Fully loaded it would get up to 55C or so.

12-Dec-2008, 02:11 PM #7
I cleaned the CPU and CPU-Fan with cleaning alcohol and coffee filters. I then applied the compound according to your instructions.

The idle temperature has dropped a bit, it is now stable at 39 centigrades, but when I run medium/hard processes, it still overheats and shuts off the computer constantly! For example, I started a virus scan, and the temperature rose from 39C to 75C (!!) in only 2 minutes, before I closed the program.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,713 posts.

12-Dec-2008, 02:26 PM #8
Are you overclocking,by any chance? If so, your cooling system may not be good enough for the way the setup is configured.

12-Dec-2008, 03:00 PM #9
No, I am not overclocking.
The fan is supposed to work with this processor, or at least they say so on the website.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,713 posts.

12-Dec-2008, 05:20 PM #10
With the case opened, check to see visually that the fan is running. Power connection may have come loose.
Computer Specs

12-Dec-2008, 06:14 PM #11
Have you run the system with the side cover off to see how hot it gets now?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Dec-2008, 08:09 PM #12
That really sounds like the hsf is not sufficient. Is this the stock Amd hsf?

13-Dec-2008, 05:34 AM #13
I opened the case, and the fan is running.

I ran the computer with an open case, but when I started a virus scan, it went up to the same temperatures. I also tried starting Adobe Premiere Elements, and it shut off completely after 51 seconds. It was 75C or something.

It is not an AMD fan, it is some other fan called "Aardwolf" (http://www.mrpc.se/bilder/kylning/my0037-medium.jpg) and it came with the computer. Is it the fan that is insufficient? Do I have to buy a new one? Perhaps something like this: http://www.prisjakt.nu/bilder/bild.p...ndard&size=800
(ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120)
Computer Specs

13-Dec-2008, 08:56 AM #14
I would see if you can find a stock amd hsf. They work very well and are easy to install.

You definitely have a problem either with the hsf OR you are not installing it correctly.

That cpu should run in the mid 30s or so at idle and up to 55C or so when fully loaded. I have an amd 6400+ installed in my wife's system and it gets those temps. I do use an arctic freezer pro hsf on that one however since the cpu did not come with a hsf.

If you do need to buy another hsf, I do recommend the arctic freezer pro however they are quite large and you do need to make sure you have enough room to do the install.
Computer Specs

13-Dec-2008, 08:58 AM #15
Here is a link to the hsf I was referring to above.
Newegg link
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cpu, cpu overheating, gpu, overheating

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!