Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need help getting front panel audio jacks to work

(!)

Member with 65 posts.

16-Dec-2008, 05:32 AM #1
Need help getting front panel audio jacks to work
I'm a bit confused here. My mobo is an MSI K9N-Ultra. Currently, the connectors on the motherboard for the front audio panel look like this (see attached document jaud.jpg)

Here's a description of each connector, from 1 to 10.
  1. MIC_L: Microphone - Left Channel
  2. GND: Ground
  3. MIC_R: Microphone - Right channel
  4. PRESENCE# : Active low signal-signals BIOS that a High Definition Audio dongle is connected to the analog header. PRESENCE# = 0 when a High Definition Audio dongle is connected
  5. LINEout_R: Analog Port - Right channel
  6. MIC_JD: Jack detection return from front panel microphone JACK1
  7. Front_JD: Jack detection sense line from the High Defintiion Audio CODEC jack detection resistor network
  8. NC: No control (you can see from the attached diagram that its empty)
  9. LINE out_L: Analog Port - Left channel
  10. LINEout_JD: Jack detection return from front panel JACK2

However, for the wires from my casing, all I have are:
  1. L OUT
  2. R OUT
  3. L OUT
  4. R OUT
  5. MIC IN
  6. MIC POWER
  7. GROUND
7 in total.

Yes it's not a typo - I have 2x L OUTs and R OUTs. I have no idea what wires to attach to which connectors, besides GROUND. I've tried various combinations, but I can't get my audio jacks, especially the microphone one, to work. I really need some help here please!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help getting front panel audio jacks to work-jaud.jpg  
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,774 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Dec-2008, 12:20 PM #2
Sounds like you may be using a front panel wired for an AC'97 header and your board has an Intel HD Audio configuration header. You can read about both configurations starting at page 19 of 72 in Intel's documentation (link to PDF File)

See if you have a BIOS setting to not use audio jack detection since your front panel jacks most likely do not have the extra contacts as shown in the digram on page 25 of 72 in the above documentation.
Member with 65 posts.

16-Dec-2008, 03:12 PM #3
Ahh thanks, but I'm using an AMD board. Or does the same thing apply here? lol

I took a look at the pdf file there. Yeah maybe my motherboard is using an HD audio connection. Hmm you say I should try to set my BIOS to not use audio jack detection...what do you mean? Sorry I'm a bit lost here
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,774 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Dec-2008, 04:06 PM #4
Intel wrote the standard. It does not mean it is for Intel CPU based motherboards only.

The HD Audio interface uses microphone and headphone jacks that have a built in switch that closes when a plug is inserted. This tells the audio controller to use the associated audio signal lines for the given jack. Otherwise it does not use them.

There may be a setting in the BIOS configuration screen that forces the audio controller to ignore the jack switch sensing inputs and just activate using the signal lines. Check the motherboard user manual to see if the BIOS has such a setting. If not, you will need figure out how to short pins #6 and #10 to pin #7 on the motherboard header.

EDIT: I am not sure what will happen if you force the audio controller to use the front panel jacks. It may disable the matching rear panel jacks on the motherboard.

Last edited by cwwozniak; 16-Dec-2008 at 04:17 PM..
Member with 65 posts.

16-Dec-2008, 11:57 PM #5
Ah many thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!