Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Unable To Reinstall XP Because Installed Version Is Newer Than CD Version

(!)

Member with 582 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Dec-2008, 01:35 AM #1
Solved: Unable To Reinstall XP Because Installed Version Is Newer Than CD Version
I want to reinstall XP.

I set the computer to boot to the CD drive.

Then I got an error message saying "No boot record found" (referring to the XP Home CD) in the CD drive, so the XP CD will not boot (I guess).

Then I rebooted by turning off the computer and turning the computer on via the switch taking me to the desktop.

I clicked on the CD drive icon so I could get access to the XP CD.

I clicked on the "reinstall XP" option but then I got the message saying I could not reinstall XP because the version on my hard drive is newer than the XP version on my XP-Home CD.

I have Acronis so I can wipe the disc clean.

However, if I wipe disc clean and reboot with an Acronis emergency CD, what do I do after I reboot using the emergency CD?
Member with 8,509 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
21-Dec-2008, 02:40 AM #2
Acronis will not help you reinstall or install Windows XP. If you wipe the drive, you simply will have to be able to boot from the XP setup disk. Otherwise, no go.
Member with 582 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 03:57 AM #3
If I cannot boot from the Windows XP Set-up Disk, how do I re-install XP?
Member with 8,509 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 04:12 AM #4
You don't--at least not to a formatted (blank) disk.

There may be a way; but, it is so convoluted I wouldn't attempt to walk you through it remotely. It would involve formatting the drive to FAT32, copying the XP installation files to a folder on the disk and running the installation from there. But, since the XP disk won't boot, there is the possibility also that its setup files aren't all readable either.
Member with 582 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 07:34 AM #5
I am currently working from the following page to see if I can boot from the A: drive in order to get access to the CD drive since the XP CD is not bootable.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Computer Specs
Member with 2,713 posts.

Experience: continuing to learn.
21-Dec-2008, 07:50 AM #6
Try the disk in a friends machine to verify if it will boot or not. May have to purchase a new disk.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,715 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Dec-2008, 07:57 AM #7
Can you confirm you have set the cd drive to first boot?
It maybe the windows disc does not have SP2, you can overcome this by slipstreaming SP2 onto another disc thereby creating a new windows disc.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,665 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 08:49 AM #8
Is this a real MS retail CD that you are attempting to use? I cannot recall any xp CDs that were not bootable.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Dec-2008, 10:58 AM #9
On occasion you may run into an XP CD that will fail to boot although it is not a common problem. Since XP was released in 2001 I've had 1 or 2 instances where the CD would not boot, and had to go to the Microsoft site and download and make boot floppies. It takes 6 floppies to make the set.

At the Microsoft site they have downloads for XP Home and Professinal boot floppies. You have to choose floppies for the disk you are trying to boot with, i.e. Home or Pro and original release, or SP1 or SP2.
Member with 1,048 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 11:07 AM #10
If I'm reading all of this correctly, you are attempting to reinstall XP from a legitimate copy of XP but when you try to boot to the CD it tells you that the copy of XP already installed is newer/more up to date than the copy of XP on the CD that you are attempting to boot from. (wheee, long sentence!)
If you can indeed boot from that CD as you seem to indicate that you can, then you need to reformat the HD, and reinstall XP. It should be fairly simple. The process takes a few hours to format, reinstall XP and get everything updated and all. I'm sure you know that when you reformat that cleans that HD and you lose everything on it. You must reinstall everything. Make sure you have separate copies of any files/folders you do not want to lose. An external HD, USB drive, media card or CD/DVD are needed for those copies. External HD or CD/DVD would be my choice.
If you already have Windows XP installed, why do you need to reinstall?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 11:12 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwrmc View Post
then you need to reformat the HD, and reinstall XP. It should be fairly simple.
A simple reformat probably won't do, as Setup may still detect the old Windows installation even on a re-formatted drive. The drive needs to be wiped (zero filled) using a utility such as DBAN, or zero fill utility from the hard drive manufacturer.
Member with 8,509 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 12:02 PM #12
Quote:
The drive needs to be wiped (zero filled)
Sorry, that's just not so.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,665 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 12:09 PM #13
Frank if you simply delete/create a new partition and do fixmbr, there can be no instance of the old install.

To the original poster; is this a full retail version of xp or are you attempting to use an oem disk?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 12:12 PM #14
Then what to do if Setup detects a previous installation even though the drive is re-formatted?

Edit: yes, delete/create a new partition and fixmbr would do it. A simple reformat, no.

Last edited by crjdriver; 21-Dec-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 1,048 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 12:15 PM #15
Am I wrong on this after all these years?....if you reformat the HD there will be no previous version of Windows to detect.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!