Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DVD Drive not recognized by XP

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Dec-2008, 12:28 PM #1
DVD Drive not recognized by XP
Hi, my issue is that I reinstalled my operating system and now my DVD drive doesnt work... I mean, it opens and closes, but it's not recognized as a drive (with a letter) in windows. I already tried adjusting the IDE cable, rebooting, changed the IDE cable just in case one of the pins was broken... I even borrowed another dvd drive/burner from a friend.... and nothing. I checked in the device manager and I could see that it lists 3 cd drives... but I believe they are from VirtualClone drive and demon tools.... (since I tried rightclicking and ejecting and it didn't make my physical drive eject... also, the drive is Pioneer, it should say pioneer somewhere!)
well.... I guess that sums up my issue.... hope someone can give me a hand.
thanks in advance,
A
Member with 156 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Dec-2008, 01:36 PM #2
How long have you had it, is it external or internal? And you have try diffrent power cables? and a friends didnt work are you sure your friends worked before? and what do you mean about case 1 broken pin or something?
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2008, 02:40 PM #3
I've had it for about.... 2 years or so... its internal. the power works fine, tested that. it opens and closes, just as my friends... I took it from his working computer and placed it in mine... so I know it works, it also has power and opens/closes and when I insert a CD or DVD the light blinks on, but the disk is not recognized (no autorun) and the Drive does not appear as hardware.
What I meant about a pin broken is.... the IDE cable is like 100 thin cables... I changed the hole cable just in case one of those cables was broken. I changed it for a brand new IDE cable.
Member with 156 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 02:46 PM #4
i don't have a cd rom to be honest. But im pretty sure you install drivers for some cd drives.
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2008, 02:50 PM #5
yeah, the thing is that this dvd burner is plug and play.... I've always plugged it and it was recognized... it's been ages since I've had to actually install drivers for a dvd or cd burner to be recognized
Member with 156 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 02:53 PM #6
mmhmm maybe its your mother board. im pretty sure you plug a dvd drive into a mother right?
Member with 2,798 posts.

21-Dec-2008, 02:53 PM #7
drive
Go to device manager & left click on tth + next to the device, uninstall it & reboot the system. Windows should recognise the device
Computer Specs
Member with 4,715 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Dec-2008, 03:01 PM #8
Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG
You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : fixcd.reg
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_xp]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf_XP]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr_xp]
------------------------------ Use text before this line -----------------------------
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2008, 03:47 PM #9
Ok.... have tried with the .reg file.... rebooted. nothing changed. have tried uninstalling the 3 virtual drives.. (actually, the only ones that appeared in the device manager) rebooted... still, didn't take my physical dvd burning drive.... the motherboard is almost brand new.... perhaps... 2 months. always worked fine.
sincerely.... don't know what's wrong with my machine/operating system. any other clue? thanks anyways to all of you who tried to help
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2010, 08:12 PM #10
This fixed my problem. You are a genius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG
You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : fixcd.reg
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_xp]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf_XP]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr_xp]
------------------------------ Use text before this line -----------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dvd, dvd drive, recognize, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!