Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HP Officejet J6450 All-in-one printer wireless configuration issue

(!)

Member with 55 posts.

25-Dec-2008, 01:15 AM #1
HP Officejet J6450 All-in-one printer wireless configuration issue
I recently set up a HP Officejet J6450 All-in-one printer with built-in wireless 802.11 b/g. I was under the same impression like the person who posted similar message to another forum. I already know how to share a printer wirelessly via XP or Vista but having to use another PC as a print server. I thought the new all-in-one can break away from that with its built-in wireless. Any idea how I can make it happen?
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Dec-2008, 07:47 AM #2
what exactly do you want to establish here?
Member with 187 posts.

Experience: 32+ years servicing PC's
25-Dec-2008, 08:54 AM #3
I have yet to see a "wireless printer" be stable and have often seen HP's network software cause all kinds of grief in a network, like causing systems to refuse to shutdown when it can't find the printer.
The solution; though, is relatively simple and stable as a rock.
1) Plug the printer in to your router so it is wired and turn it on.
2) Find it by looking in your routers connected devices list or with http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spscanner.html
3) Go to the printers management interface by typing HTTP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ( x's are the address of the printer i.e. HTTP://192.168.1.102 )
4) Go to its network setup and change it from DHCP (or BOOTP) to a fixed address. I like to use .150 for the first printer, .151 2nd, etc. The users manual for the printer should help you with this.
5) On the computer where you already installed the printer, find where HP unzipped the drivers, copy them to a flash drive, a shared folder, or a CD. You want the unzipped files!
6) On every computer where you have installed the HP software, uninstall it!
7) Start the Add Printer wizard, choose local port, uncheck "automatically detect", choose Standard TCP/IP port, type in the IP Address you assigned to the printer, choose have disk, and point it to the drivers wherever you have them.

Its a bit of a tedious P**n in the *ss; but, once the printer is in a fixed place and you have it setup, it will work for years without trouble.

Last edited by DavisMcCarn; 25-Dec-2008 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: verbiage
Member with 55 posts.

27-Dec-2008, 11:37 PM #4
That helped. Thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!