Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Harddrive going bad? S.M.A.R.T. results

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jan-2009, 02:27 PM #1
Harddrive going bad? S.M.A.R.T. results
I'm using this Seagate HDD that I've bought and been using for around 6-7 months.

I tested my HDD using Speedfan and Seagate's "Sea Tools". In terms of Sea Tools, I did the "S.M.A.R.T. check" test and it returned a "fail". I also did "Short Drive Self Test" and "Short Generic Test" which passed, haven't done the long test yet though.

SpeedFan's results(I bolded the ones that are "normal" and below):

Quote:
Your hard disk is a ST3250410AS with firmware 3.AAC.
The average temperature for this hard disk is 35C (MIN=26C MAX=44C) and yours is 34C.
Your hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. attributes are now being analyzed and a full report about the reliability, health and status of your hard disk is generated:
Your hard disk is not below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Your hard disk was never below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Your hard disk is now being compared to real data used to define normal values for your specific hard disk model. This way, the analysis can automatically use proper operating ranges. The images give you an idea of how each attribute is within such range. Current and raw values are shown for easier reference for experienced users. There are 2300 hard disk models in the current archive.

Attribute Current Raw Overall
2 Raw Read Error Rate 102 0 Normal
1 Spin Up Time 97 0 Normal

10 Start/Stop Count 100 155 Very good
10 Reallocated Sector Count 100 0 Very good
4 Seek Error Rate 74 26111234 Good
1 Power On Hours Count 99 1456 Normal
10 Spin Retry Count 100 0 Very good
10 Power Cycle Count 100 155 Very good
10 Unknown attribute 187 100 0 Very good
10 High Fly Writes 100 0 Very good
7 Airflow Temperature 66 605487138 Good
0 Hardware ECC Recovered 61 70657405 Watch
Warning: Hardware ECC Recovered is below the average limits (63-92).

10 Current Pending Sector 100 0 Very good
10 Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 100 0 Very good
10 Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 0 Very good
10 Write Error Rate 100 0 Very good
10 TA Increase Count 100 0 Very good

NOTE: not all warnings are reflected on fitness and performance overall values as relevancy is based upon the settings from the hard disk manufacturer who is the best entity deputed to define such relationships.

The overall fitness for this drive is 91%.
The overall performance for this drive is 91%.
Just wondering if the test results mean it'll go bad really soon or I have some time.
The only thing that seems to be below average is "Hardware ECC":
Quote:
Warning: Hardware ECC Recovered is below the average limits (63-92)
I don't know how important that is, the rest are normal and good and speedfan says performance and fitness is 91%.

So I am wondering if "Hardware ECC" being below average would mean that it'll die very soon or not?

Also what types of other tests can I do to check my HD?(I vaguely remember something about a Windows data sector checking tool or something, what is that called?)

Edit: I have another question, using speed fan there are 5 temp sensors found. "Temp 2" and "Core" can go up to 60C+ while I am playing video games, is that too high? I don't know what Temp 2 is(maybe video card?).

Temp 1, 3, and HD temperatures are fine but 2 and Core can go up 60C+.

In terms of my computer hardware, they're mostly about 4-5 year old stuff:
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce FX 5500
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+, ~1.8GHz

So is the temperature (60C+ while playing games) too high?

Last edited by Newuser12345215; 01-Jan-2009 at 02:49 PM..
jazz3000 has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 2,503 posts.

01-Jan-2009, 02:41 PM #2
All HDDs eventually go bad. I'd say you just need to make sure in any circumstance you have a backup copy of any data you don't want to lose when a HDD goes bad. I'm not sure there is any test you can apply to hardware that accurately determines when a drive is stop working.
You can have a spike in the electricity in your home that can fry a drive tomorrow, or any other numerous amounts of environmental or physical occurrences that create problems.
Back up important Data.
If your looking for the exact demise of the HDD- I don't think anyone can accurately supply that. Could be 2 years or tomorrow. Jazz
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

01-Jan-2009, 02:46 PM #3
Just wondering if the test results mean it'll go bad really soon or I have some time.
The only thing that seems to be below average is "Hardware ECC":
Quote:
Warning: Hardware ECC Recovered is below the average limits (63-92)
I don't know how important that is, the rest are normal and good and speedfan says performance and fitness is 91%.

So I am wondering if "Hardware ECC" being below average would mean that it'll die very soon or not?

01-Jan-2009, 04:13 PM #4
How long has it been since you defragged your system? You might want to try and redo your tests. If your system is older you might need to replace your thermal paste on the cpu if you're capable of it, and as to the gaming side of things, systems run hotter than normal. Jazz
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

01-Jan-2009, 09:50 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz3000 View Post
How long has it been since you defragged your system? You might want to try and redo your tests. If your system is older you might need to replace your thermal paste on the cpu if you're capable of it, and as to the gaming side of things, systems run hotter than normal. Jazz
I defrag it about once every month.

In terms of thermal paste, I have never installed/uninstalled a CPU/fan before but I'll try following an online guide on how to do it I guess.

So, does anyone know what the "Hardware ECC Recovered " S.M.A.R.T. stat mean and if I should be concerned about my HD if the stat is below average?

I'll probably order a second HD to clone to, but I'm just wondering in case anyone knows what the "Hardware ECC Recovered" stat means.

01-Jan-2009, 10:35 PM #6
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

03-Jan-2009, 01:01 PM #7
I'm going to clone the drive to a new one.

In terms of cloning, what would happen if, in the process of cloning, the computer shuts down unexpectedly because of a power outage or something?

I have a surge protector but don't have a UPS.

Would any data be lost of both drives or anything bad?

I'm just wondering because a week ago, my power suddenly went out(my computer wasn't on at the time though).
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

03-Jan-2009, 01:06 PM #8
At worst the clone would not be usable and you would have to start over. It should not hurt the original drive.
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

13-Jan-2009, 05:18 AM #9
Thanks for the help guys, so I recently bought another of the same drive and cloned it over.

Anyway, I didn't do a SMART check with seatools right away unfortunately but after a day of using it, I notice that the fitness and performance of the drive(according to speed fan) dropped from 97/98% to 93%.

The "Seek Error Rate" stat also dropped from "Very good" to "Normal".

Seeing that performance/fitness drop, I did a SMART check with Seatools and it said "Fail", so either:

1. I'm having bad luck and got a not so good drive.

OR

2.. Seatools (and maybe speedfan) is wrong.

Also, for some reason, my Anti Virus scanner seems to "hang at a point" on this new drive. (I'm using Avast btw)

I scanned with my old drive(of the same model) two days before the cloning, everything was fine.

I tried scanning with my new drive(same model) yesterday but it keeps hanging at the same spot, when it's at about 25% or so.

I'll try using windows check disc. Also, where are the results of windows check disc saved too after the test is done?

I did a "check disc" with my old drive, it simply restarted after the test was done.

I didn't get to see the results, anyone know I can see the results of check disc?

Also, when speedfan turns on for the first time, it gives a bunch of messages saying "Address $2D appears to be WRITE ONLY", it isn't just $2D, it's other numbers and letters too.

I don't know what they means, does anyone who uses speedfan knows?

Last question - The new drive I bought from newegg didn't have a jumper so I used a jumper from an old CD drive that was no longer in use, is that fine or is there something that may go wrong if I use a jumper from a CD drive on a HDD?

Last edited by Newuser12345215; 13-Jan-2009 at 05:37 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,160 posts.

13-Jan-2009, 09:34 AM #10
A jumper is a jumper as long as it is the same size ie fits, it works. Next why are you using a jumper on a sata drive? The only use for a jumper on one of those is to limit speed to work with old mb. If you have a sata2 mb, then no jumper would be needed.

Speedfan is a fine app however it sometimes reports flaky info. Verify temps in the bios, then you can rely on speedfan.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!