Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Why is core i7 system slow?

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jan-2009, 05:26 PM #1
Solved: Why is core i7 system slow?
Here are my parts:

CASE: ANTEC|NINE HUNDRED BK RT
MB: ECS X58B-A 1366 X58 RTL
VIDEO: HIS H487F1GP HD4870 1G RT
PSU: CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT
CPU: INTEL|CORE I7 920 2.66G 45N R
MEM: 2Gx3|OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK R
HD: 1.5T|ST ST31500341AS 7K 32M

I just built this computer and installed vista x64 and it took like 2 hours to install. Then, once into windows, everything is very laggy. I know there are problems with the HD that I have and I updated the firmware to no effect. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help would be appreciated.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,998 posts.

12-Jan-2009, 05:31 PM #2
It should not take more than 20~25min to install vista 64bit.
I would start with testing the hd. Download seatools and give the drive a complete or long test.
Next download and run memtest on your memory OR you can use the vista dvd also has a memory tester.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,612 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Jan-2009, 05:33 PM #3
Other ideas: have you installed all of the mobo chipset drivers including sound etc.
Have you checked in device manager that all is looking good, no yellow exclamation marks etc.
Computer Specs

12-Jan-2009, 05:34 PM #4
I do have one question. After spending all of the money for a new i7 system, why buy an ecs motherboard? ECS is very near the bottom in quality for board makers.
Computer Specs

12-Jan-2009, 05:36 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
Other ideas: have you installed all of the mobo chipset drivers including sound etc.
Have you checked in device manager that all is looking good, no yellow exclamation marks etc.
That is not going to effect a 2hr time to install vista. Something is wrong here when my amd 9950 will install vista 64bit in 22min start to finish. I am thinking either a hard disk problem or perhaps a problem with memory.

12-Jan-2009, 05:40 PM #6
Well 1400 was all I really had to spend on this project and the ECS board seemed well equipped and fairly cheap. I did not install all of the mobo drivers...When I put in the motherboard driver cd, it says that it doesn't support the OS for some strange reason. Do you think this is the problem? I will try the memtest as soon as possible. I am actually installing Windows 7 right now over Vista to see if it will work any better...
Computer Specs

12-Jan-2009, 05:48 PM #7
Windows 7 is in early beta and is not really going to help you find the problem.

Do the tests I posted about rather than attempting to install beta software. If you really want to test by installing an os, then install xp and see how long that takes to install.

BTW the motherboard is really one of the last places you want to go cheap. With ecs, it seems to be more of a quality control problem. Some people with get one of their boards and it will run for years. Others have them fail in 6 months or a year.

12-Jan-2009, 05:51 PM #8
Ahh, ok, I am putting in the vista dvd and going to run the memtest. I just thought since people were saying that windows 7 worked great with drivers that it might pick up something vista didn't. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know how the memtest went once it is done.
Computer Specs

12-Jan-2009, 05:52 PM #9
BTW I checked the specs on your memory and it requires either 1.65V or 1.9V depending on which one. Have you set the correct voltage in the bios?
Computer Specs

12-Jan-2009, 05:57 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggnic View Post
Ahh, ok, I am putting in the vista dvd and going to run the memtest. I just thought since people were saying that windows 7 worked great with drivers that it might pick up something vista didn't. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know how the memtest went once it is done.
Drivers are not really going to cause you a 2hr install. That system should install vista 64bit in 20min start to finish.

Just thinking, what mode do you have the sata controller set to in the bios?
zeddy zeddy is offline   zeddy has a birthday soon!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,612 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Jan-2009, 05:58 PM #11
I thought the same about the ECS mobo but this model has had very good reviews
Computer Specs
Member with 190 posts.

12-Jan-2009, 06:00 PM #12
I think you answered your own question there Greg 2 hours seems a long time for an O/S to install, is that including the format ?
Lagging and freezing could be a number of things but sounds like it may be your hard drive; do you have a spare H drive to check this problem ?
It could be your motherboard or it could be software your O/S could have corrupted during installation.
It may be dodgy RAM, i havent built an i7 machine yet so i dont have 1st hand experience so im not sure if it will run on 1 stick of RAM which is usually how i check it out.
May even be a simple bios setting so check out each possibility using the process of elimination

12-Jan-2009, 06:01 PM #13
Actually I did not do that...I have never done it before. Would that be DIMM Voltage? Right now it says in bios that it is at 1.504 v. I think I read something about the core i7 chips not being able to take more that 1.65 v or something. Should I change the voltage to 1.65?

12-Jan-2009, 06:03 PM #14
Also, I have sata set to IDE...I wish I had a spare drive to test if the seagate is the problem. Buying a new one will be my last resort. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Computer Specs

12-Jan-2009, 06:03 PM #15
Post back with the results of both the memory test AND the hd test.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
core i7, slow

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!