Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't see Removable Disks or Thumb Drive

(!)

Member with 678 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jan-2009, 08:26 AM #1
Unhappy Can't see Removable Disks or Thumb Drive
My computer won't recognize my thumb drive or camera cards.

When I open Device Manager, I have something called 'Other devices' with a yellow ? I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my problem, but wanted to let you know in case it might be relevant.

Lower in my Device Manager, I find 'Storage volumes' with 6 'Generic volumes' under it, all with yellow ! on them. When I plug my thumb drive into the front USB port, the 2nd of the 6 has the yellow ! removed and double clicking on the item brings up a window saying "This device is working properly" However, I dont' find my thumb drive in MyComputer. If I plug a USB card reader into the same USB port, the 3rd Generic volume loses its yellow!. but again it doesn't show up in MyComputer and won't open. When I plug the camera card into the card reader slot on the front of the computer, it also doesn't show up.

Both of these devices show up in MyComputer on another computer.

What I have tried:

Uninstalling all of them and rebooting, but they just came back with the yellow ! on them.

Installing them from my Recovery CD but no driver was found.

Letting it go online to search

Using a driver backup CD I had created with DriverMax

I'm not even sure it is a driver problem.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Member with 678 posts.

16-Jan-2009, 02:16 PM #2
More info: When I plug my thumb drive in, it gives a bebop sound that tells me something has been plugged in. The little light on the thumb drive lights up, but doesn't show up anywhere so I can get access to it. The same is true of my external hard drive which is plugged into a USB port in the back of my computer.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 93 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jan-2009, 02:49 PM #3
click on start right click on my computer select manage, then storage and disk management. Does it show the flash drive in there?
Member with 678 posts.

16-Jan-2009, 04:32 PM #4
It shows the following:

pqi IntelligentStick USB Device

When I double click on that, I get a window that shows the Location Media Pool: as Unrecognized/Removable media

Now I also see that through "Disk Managment", I can open both the thumb drive and the external HDD. How can they show up here, but not show in MyComputer?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 93 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jan-2009, 06:14 PM #5
you probably having one of 2 problems 1 for some reason your computer can't read the thumb drive, do you have an older version of windows or is it XP or Vista? The other could be that whatever drive letter your computer has assigned the thumb drive is already in use try right clicking on the thumb drive and change the drive letter to something that you don't use like Z:. If that doesn't work what version of windows do you have and have you used your usb ports for anything else, they themselves may also need a driver.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!