Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Problems with booting windows.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jan-2009, 05:31 PM #1
Solved: Problems with booting windows.
ok, here is the story...
The other day I was watching a DVD and it is one that I have watched many times. After the dvd was done, my computer went into a power saving mode, and I was not able to wiggle the mouse and bring the computer back.
I reset the computer trying to bring up the system, and it crashed at the Vista loading screen. I tried restarting it multiple times, and sometimes it would take well over 30 mins of just leaving my computer alone and I would eventually get to the point where I could put my password in. When I did that it just did nothing.
Sometimes I would get a BSoD and sometimes I wouldn't. I ran many tolls on the drive including dskchk, Spinright, and Bart PE. I was able to save all the data with Bart PE, and Spinright saw no errors that it needed to correct... check disk did however. I used seatools, and was convinced that it was a problem with the HDD. I have sent it back to seagate as the tech guy came to the conclusion that I needed a replacement for the HDD.
Well today I tried to install a fresh version of windows XP on another hdd that I had perfomed a low level format on a long time ago. The drive is a good drive, and has worked just recently in another comptuer. I installed all of windows XP on it, and when the installation was finished, I got the loading screen to go to the first screen of windows XP. Well, now I am getting the BSoD with that as well.
I was sure that it was the other HDD, but now that this other HDD isn't working, I am lost. I have tested the memory, and it is writing and dumping well, I am wondering if the Controller on the MOBO is bad? Otherwise I have no idea what to do or what other questions to ask...
I posted this here because my set up was...
Vista 64bit home premium
Intel e8400 3.0ghz core 2 duo
4gig gskill DDR2 800 memory
Nvidia 8800GTS
did have a 250g hdd as the primary hdd
450 ps
My computer has been running excellent since may, and I used it for gaming on... sunday. I haven't been able to use the computer since sunday night. It's like the computer fairy crashed my computer because it knew I needed to do welll on my studies. IDK.:4-dontkno
CDATech CDATech is offline CDATech has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 492 posts.

Experience: Knower Of Nothing
15-Jan-2009, 05:43 PM #2
Have you tested your memory with a program like memtest86?
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2009, 06:08 PM #3
well, to be honest, I did, but I didn't stick around for the results before the computer reset itself. I will run that again and post the results.
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2009, 08:24 PM #4
k, I did another memory test, and it said that it has passed it's test... dang thing ran for about 1.75 hours before if was done lol. Anyways, seems the memory is good.
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2009, 08:35 PM #5
hmm.... I did just try a new program called PC check... it is through Hirams boot CD. I did bunch of tests... the memkory tested fine, but when I performed a stress test, ir failed. I am not sure how it tests, but it seems that is news to me. Anyone knows if that measn anything?
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2009, 09:15 PM #6
Ok, I think that memory test wasn't a good test, I will go with the first, one, and I ran another one... I think it was called gold memory test or something like that. Seems that the memory is fine, as it has passed the tests, and it has also passes another full load test.

That would mean, I am still lost as to what is going on, and would still like help on trying to figure out something else to do.
Computer Specs

16-Jan-2009, 11:44 AM #7
bumping because this is still a problem for me.
Had another question... does this sound like electrical damage? I had the computer on a surge protector, but the electricity has been unstable in my area over the past few weeks. some times it will flicker on and off real fast several times in a row.

anyways, still having majors problems with the PC here. hoping for a blessing of light to shine upon it here.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jan-2009, 04:23 PM #8
I am haveing problems with going into BIOS and makeing my computer use cd rom drive to boot 95 on my old laptop. i formated the hard drive
and when i boot up it tells me INVALID SYSTEM DISK I have tried many things but i know in BIOS "boot priority" would give me an opition of three things (floopy, hard drive, and cd rom drive). but it does not give me that opition to boot from cdd soo please give me honest direction
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2009, 07:25 PM #9
hey there, not that I am great at this, but... what here are some things that I was thinking...

1. it sounds like the computer isn't even seeing the cd drive so when you go into the bios do you see that it is seeing the cd drive?

2. if it isn't has the laptop ever been taken apart? Usually I think they just shove into a slot, but it may be that it has some loose connectors.

3. is it the original cd drive that came with the laptop?

4. has the bios evern been "flashed".

4. Do you remember the problem that made the laptop not work in the first place? Why did it need to be formatted? Was it because of a virus or something? I am just wondering.

Anyways, I think those questions might help start the topic. Also if you copy and paste your original post and this response in a new thread you might get a better response to your problem.

I think most people browse this for helpful info, but people that might be able to help might see my start of the thread and miss your issue.

So. need to make sure that the post message is stating that it is seeing the cd-rom drive. that would be the first place I would start because if that isn't working then I don't know where else to start. I hope you odn't need another cd rom drive for that because honestly I wouldn't know where to start looking for one.

Umm. If you find that it does work, and the computer is seeing the cd drive, then you can go farther... I would just make sure that it is connected. Oh, and btw... was the computer seeing the cd drive before you formatted the drive? or what did you use to format the disk? a program that came with a floppy? guess you could have used dos.

good luck to ya.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jan-2009, 04:19 PM #10
OK i don't know if it's been flashed but yes the CD ROM drive was the orginal drive and it flashes and spins but does not except the data on the cd. Also no virus just lots of memory lost and I orginally had 95 on there then upgraded to 98 and like i said lots of memory was lost so later I found a perfectly good game for the computer but IT NEEDED 95!! the computer would NOT re-format on it's own so I came to the idea to at reboot press and hold "F8" to GO INTO SAFE MODE MSDOS found out it worked and it started to re-Format so that goes into my first post that says "Reboot and the computer tells me INVAILD SYSTEM DISK" ohh btw yes the CD did work before so try to understand this is all i know reply me back soon please
Computer Specs

21-Jan-2009, 05:31 PM #11
oh, well hmm.... I am at a loss. I don't really know what to do then..

Also as a follow up to my original post, it was the Hard drive controller. it is covered under the Asus 3 year warranty, and they are going to replace it and ship the MB back to me. yeah for Hiran's boot cd for helping me solve this.

to tiger 2000... idk why the computer isn't seeing the data on the disk... willl it see another boot cd?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bsod, crash, failed install, hard drive, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!