Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

buzzing/freezing

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jan-2009, 11:01 PM #1
buzzing/freezing
Running graphics intensive apps- my computer freezes momentarily (split second) and makes a buzzing noise. The noise comes from my speakers.

Running speedfan, my temps run between 23c and 53c:

Core: 44c (tops- 53c)
Remote: 41c (tops 44c)
Temp1: 41c (steady between 40/42c)
CPU: 27c (tops 36c)
Ambient: 27c (tops 36c)

In the duration of typing this post, my computer froze for about 6 seconds and, again, made the noise.

all I have are two 80mm fans (cpu and rear case) and my cpu heatsink, of course. Earlier in the month, before, I had problems with my entire OS though only recently have reverted to previously working settings which forced me to reinstall all my drivers and such.

Prior to any of these problems, everything was running fine (though as fine as it can be at 1gb of ram; i've only recently installed more, lol).

About mid december, there was a power outage in my town, and since then there have been huge problems with my computer such as overheating, random reboots, crashing programs, and the thing that scared me most was no recognition of my HD (everything was at a stand still with nothing moving/loading/reading. not even the HD light blinking). After that incedent, I restored to good settings and installed the new psu, new fan and new ram that I currently have.

I fear it has to do with my mobo; its a piece of crap to begin with and it overheats like no other.

I've ran every diagnostic tool I can think of and tried every posisble fix, as well: hijack, malwarebytes, reinstalled my OS, cleared all cache, reset cmos and bios, updated bios, defragged, unistalled all unnecessary programs, combofix, scanned and cleaned all possible malware/virus/worms etc, even scanned for sasser/blaster virus (none of these in this particular order. i'm just listing off the top of my head).

There are no burning smells, no discolorizations of the mobo, no burnt-out or deformed modules, no other weird noises. nothing.

its just the random freezing and buzzing from the speakers. It seems to have only recently done this since its been getting hot here. At least, too hot for my comp.. I want liquid cooling =\

any ideas? thanks in advance
Computer Specs
Member with 87 posts.

15-Jan-2009, 11:02 PM #2
Got a spare PSU laying around that you could test with.. freezes and random shutdowns is usually caused by a bad or overloaded powersupply.
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2009, 11:16 PM #3
well I believe the outlet I'm plugged to is kinda shotty anyways. I'm moving my desk soon.

the freezing and random shutdowns happened with my new psu, too. Unfortunately otherwise: no, i don't have a spare psu anymore =\

since I've done the restore settings thing, i havent had any crap reboot issues, so I'm not sure what else it could've been.
Computer Specs
Member with 87 posts.

15-Jan-2009, 11:21 PM #4
I would get to a stable outlet first. Nothing is worse for a pc than unstable power.

Have you tried a fresh format since the issues started?
Computer Specs
Member with 641 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jan-2009, 04:31 AM #5
You may also run a memtest to check ur RAM sticks.
Computer Specs

16-Jan-2009, 05:00 AM #6
@DB6150: Yes, I've tried a fresh format. I've still the buzzing noise even after so.

@Capri: I've ran memtest; that was the other thing I forgot to mention. I had 54006%, no errors. ran all separate sticks at 23067% with no errors.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!