Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Random Characters Typed by Keyboard

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jan-2009, 09:35 AM #1
Question Random Characters Typed by Keyboard
Firstly can I apologise if this thread is in the wrong place. The problem I am having is driving me mad, and while I don't think it's a hardware issue, I had no idea where else on this site to post.

Now to business...

My PC seems to be typing random numbers whenever any text box is selected in any program or website. Please note it is a PC, not a Laptop. All the solutions I have found so far relate to the touch pad on Laptops but that can't be the issue here.

When I unplug the keyboard the PC continues to type random numbers. On restarting the PC the problem goes away for a while, but soon raises it's ugly head again. Sometimes the issue gets even more bizarre and extreme whereby pressing keys on the keyboard will launch programs. For instance, the other day I pressed "S" and the PC loaded Windows Media Player!

I have searched and searched for answers, trying everything I can think of, but the results from Google tend to be unhelpful when you type in things like "Help, my keyboard's gone loopy" or "keyboard random characters". Incidentally, it's favourite character to type is the number "8".

The closest thing I came to a solution was someone suggesting that somewhere deep within the PC virtual keys are getting stuck...the PC thinks I'm holding down the "8" key for example. Sadly I couldn't verify this and have no idea how to solve it!

The PC in question is rather *ahem* "basic". On board graphics. Some kind of AMD Sempron processor I think. Probably just a token amount of memory. It's a PC in my workplace so unfortunately I can't be sure....since I'm the person in the office with the most IT knowledge anyway nobody else is of any use!

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks for reading.
jazz3000 has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 2,503 posts.

20-Jan-2009, 12:53 PM #2
It almost sounds like your Accessibility onscreen keyboard has been messed with. Or specfic hotkeys have been allocated to do something and have gone awry. It's an issue within the PC and you might have to suggest a repair to the particular system to right the problem. Jazz
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jan-2009, 07:08 AM #3
Thanks for your response.

As an update to this thread I've decided to uninstall and reinstall the keyboard drivers.

So far so good, but I'm not wanting to speak too soon and jinx myself too much, since the PC lasted from 8:30AM until 2:00PM yesterday before it started going loopy!

Fingers Crossed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
keyboard, loopy, mental

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!