Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Looking for the largest possible PATA hard disk for my laptop.

(!)

Member with 8,478 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
21-Jan-2009, 07:54 PM #1
Solved: Looking for the largest possible PATA hard disk for my laptop.
I have a Compaq laptop that I'm about to replace the hard disk in and I'm not up much on what the largest available disk is. NewEgg had a 320-Gig a few days ago; but, I went to order it just now and the largest I see there is a 250G. Seems the 320's are all gone.

What I need is the largest possible PATA disk in a name brand and at a reasonable price.

For those not familiar with PATA, it is the old, forty-pin data cable type.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Einstein
21-Jan-2009, 08:08 PM #2
Why don't you try searching a few other websites. It will get faster results then expecting everyone else to do your searching for you.
Member with 8,478 posts.

21-Jan-2009, 08:23 PM #3
I've been searching; but, I don't find any information on what the largest PATA drive is/was in a 2.5" form factor.

As for your comment on having 'someone else do my searching', this is a forum where we all help each other. If you don't want to help, just ignore the thread and keep your comments to yourself.

And, by the way, the correct English in your usage is "than", not "then".
Member with 697 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jan-2009, 08:25 PM #4
I didnt know you could get a 2.5 inch hard drive in a PATA interface...

Every single laptop drive I have ever seen uses a different interface than a desktop HDD.
Member with 8,478 posts.

22-Jan-2009, 12:51 AM #5
Thanks for your interest. The PATA stands for Parallel ATA and the SATA stands for Serial ATA. The Parallel ATA has forty pins and is Parallel whether pins are spaced for desktop or laptop use. So, the older laptops use the old Parallel and the newer, Serial.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 114 posts.

Experience: Intermediate-Advanced
22-Jan-2009, 02:08 AM #6
It shouldn't be different, I've got a 320GB 2.5" SATA drive hooked up to my desktop...it works fine. but to answer your question..320GB is the biggest you can get for 2.5", but just doing a little search, 250GB seems to be the biggest for PATA 2.5".
Member with 8,478 posts.

22-Jan-2009, 03:17 AM #7
Quote:
It shouldn't be different,
In SATA, the connectors are identical and interchangable for laptops and desktops. In laptops, the PATA is still forty pins, same pin quantity; but, the spacing of the pins is different.

It seems I'm finding 2.5" 250's in PATA and no 320's; but, I thought I saw a 320 on NewEgg's site a couple of days ago and it is not there now. I believe I'm right when I say I've seen a 320. But, now not finding anything larger than 250- I'm beginning to think I may be confused about what I saw.

I think I might have to contact Seagate and Western Digital and just get it from the horse's mouth.

I'm absolutely positive I think I saw what I am confused about.
Member with 8,478 posts.

22-Jan-2009, 03:20 AM #8
By the way, here are three 500-Gig, 2.5" SATA drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...009&name=500GB
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 114 posts.

Experience: Intermediate-Advanced
22-Jan-2009, 03:48 AM #9
oh lol, so there is, my post was going from outdated knowledge (as is the way of computers)
Member with 697 posts.

22-Jan-2009, 02:08 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ethridge View Post
Thanks for your interest. The PATA stands for Parallel ATA and the SATA stands for Serial ATA. The Parallel ATA has forty pins and is Parallel whether pins are spaced for desktop or laptop use. So, the older laptops use the old Parallel and the newer, Serial.
Newegg lists this older interface as ATA - 6, and while i dont claim to be a expert on laptops I dont think they made it up :P It isnt PATA however, since it obviously is a different connection.

At any rate, here is their ATA - 6 drives. They list these, two types of SATA drives and a third type which is a very high performance 15k rpm laptop drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

Last edited by Masta Squidge; 22-Jan-2009 at 02:33 PM..
Member with 8,478 posts.

22-Jan-2009, 02:20 PM #11
Thanks.

Some trivia:
  • SATA is an IDE device
  • PATA is an IDE device
  • ATA-6 is a Parallel device
  • SATA and PATA are a set of electronic specifications, not a physical size and shape specification.
  • For a few minutes on January 20, Joe Biden was George Bush's Vice President.
Member with 697 posts.

22-Jan-2009, 02:32 PM #12
Fair enough. But newegg does not list ANY pata drives as 2.5 inch. Pata is ide... but it is also a parallel device. Hence the parallel ata that you yourself posted above. SATA is a serial device, but also ide as well.
Ill give it to you that it could be called a pata drive (ata - 6 is parallel ata, hence pata) but its a generalization that could lead to having the wrong interface.

Technically ata - 6 is an ide device as well. As is your CD drive. And other things.
Member with 8,478 posts.

22-Jan-2009, 11:30 PM #13
A square is always a rectangle; but, a rectangle, although it can be a square, isn't always a square. Hence the two terms, square and rectangle.

Since its inception, advances in ATA technology have brought faster transfer rates. Each advancement was given a number to differentiate between it and the previous improvement. I think there are eight varieties of standards and ATA-6 is only one of them, also known as Ultra ATA.

So, the digit 6 after the ATA simply denotes a different speed, not a different interface and ATA refers to both Serial and Parallel devices and the use of the terms Serial and Parallel differentiates the type of electronic communication with the device as ATA alone, without the "P" or "S", doesn't.

Wikipedia: With the market introduction of Serial ATA in 2003, the original ATA was retroactively renamed Parallel ATA (PATA or Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment).

To satisfy the largest-hard-disk part of my question, I called Seagate, Western Digital and Toshiba today and and after going through about an hour and twenty minutes of key presses, failed voice recognitions, disconnects and being referred to wrong numbers/departments, asked them what the largest parallel ATA drive was in 2.5" form factor that they ever made and they all said 250 Gigs. So I guess I was wrong about seeing a 320 at NewEgg.

The Toshiba rep said he thought Fujitsu may have made a 320-; but, he wasn't sure about that. So if anyone knows where I might find a Fujitsu 320-, I sure would like to know about it. If I don't find a Fujitsu 320- tonight, I'll try to call Fujitsu tomorrow.

And by the way, they all responded to the parallel ATA terminology without incident.
Member with 8,478 posts.

23-Jan-2009, 12:54 AM #14
I'm tired of searching. I think I found the largest PATA (ATA-8) hard disk, a Fujitsu 320GB at this site. I placed an order just now. I'm not crazy about the brand; but, I need as much space as I can get.

Specs:
  • Capacity: 320 GB
  • Rotational Speed: 5400 rpm
  • Cache: 8 MB
  • Interface: ATA-8
  • Max. External Transfer Rate: 300 MB/s
  • Seek Time: Track to Track: 2 ms; Average: 12 ms; Full Stroke: 22 ms
Computer Specs
Moderator with 41,651 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jan-2009, 01:06 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ethridge View Post
[*] Max. External Transfer Rate: 300 MB/s
That suggests it has a SATA 3GBs interface. And I believe the Fujitsu Esprimo U9200 laptop mentioned on that site takes only SATA drives.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!