Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connect HDTV to Mac at high resolution?

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

26-Jan-2009, 12:32 AM #1
Connect HDTV to Mac at high resolution?
I just bought a Dynex 22" HDTV:
http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-739-...dvd-combo.aspx

According to the specs, it has a max resolution of 1680 x 1050. In attempting to connect it to Mac Book Pro, all I'm getting is 1280 x 720 ?! What gives? Am I misunderstanding that specification? Anyway, here's some more info:

- Tried with a vga cable and DVI to HMDI cable.
- The Mac Book Pro is capable of displaying resolutions way higher than that.
- Running Mac OS X 10.5.6... but I did boot into Windows XP Pro and had even less success

Any troubleshooting info would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance! -Sam
Computer Specs
Member with 74 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jan-2009, 01:58 PM #2
My guess is the Dynex HDTV spes might not be correct. A computer expects the monitor to tell it what resolutions are supported and which resolution is the preferred resolution. The specs make many references to 720P so I am guessing that must be their preferred resolution thus it makes sense the computer would have this setting turned on when you look at the monitor resolution settings.

Since the specs also indicate that 1680 x 1050 is the max resolution then if the DDC (Display Data Channel) information being supplied to the computer video adapter from the monitor is what the specs claim then I can only make one conclusion, either the specs are wrong, or your adaption to HDMI is causing the monitor to tell the computer it can only support lesser resolutions..

The specs don't list a VGA port so I am not sure how you made a VGA connection, and if the DVI to HDMI cable you used doesn't support the DDC pins then that would explain a lot.

26-Jan-2009, 09:23 PM #3
Thanks for the info!

Yeah... there is a VGA port on the back. On the specs, it's called PC Input. How would I know if the DVI to HDMI cable supports DDC? This is the cable I used:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1181832625335

Again, thanks so much for the help!

Sam
Computer Specs
Member with 74 posts.

27-Jan-2009, 10:58 AM #4
Bestbuy is not going to be able to tell you the pinning of the cable, they probably don't make their own cables, I can't believe they are not supporting the DDC channels but their adapter may only be supporting single link DVI in which case if your Mac Book Pro has a single link DVI port may explain your issue, Single Link DVI is a lower resolution for of DVI.

I was looking at some of the specs for the Mac Book Pro and I noticed it has a couple of DVI options available, one of those options was for Dual Link DVI, are you using this option?

Dual Link DVI supports higher bandwidths and might be the solution to your problem, otherwise it is what it is.

27-Jan-2009, 11:02 PM #5
Thanks for doing some research! I have a late 2007 MBP. The DVI is capable of driving a 22" Apple pro display at full res and color... which is much higher than the 1680x1050 of the Dynex display in question. How can I find out definitively if I'm using dual link dvi?

As always, thanks! -Sam
Computer Specs
Member with 74 posts.

28-Jan-2009, 01:56 PM #6
I am not an Apple guy, so short of calling Apple I don't know if there is anything like Windows Device Manager on an Apple computer that might provide some insite.

I can tell you this, if you can send video to a 22" Apple display and get resolutions higher than the Dynex display through the same DVI cable then the cable is not the issue, the Dynex display either doesn't really run the higher resolutions, or the Apple computer doesn't recognize the display correctly.

Have you tried this display on another computer just to see what happens?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,308 posts.

28-Jan-2009, 02:06 PM #7
Page 10 of the Dynex user manual tells you what resolutions the screen can handle.

Other resolutions may damage your screen. Read the manual.

28-Jan-2009, 05:00 PM #8
Hey Blackbox... well, I tried this display on my MBP while booted into Windows... no luck.

Prunejuice... thanks for taking a look. Yep, I've been all over that manual and I tried all of those resolutions on page 10. Nothing displays above 1280 x 720?!

Any thoughts?

28-Jan-2009, 05:02 PM #9
Also, I should add that I've sent 2 support queries to Dynex about a week ago. No response. Their customer service seems to be... nonexistent?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,308 posts.

28-Jan-2009, 08:04 PM #10
You can't throw random resolutions at this screen. Only the ones outlined in the manual.

Choose 1280x720 or 1360x768 (60Hz). Can you do 1280x720 60 Hz?

Perhaps your MBP cant output a necessary resolution that's acceptable to the screen above 1280x720 60Hz

28-Jan-2009, 11:16 PM #11
Yep... I've definitely tried all of the above. No luck. I'm just utterly confused.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dynex, hdtv, mac, resololution, wsxga+

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!