Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Installing Software On External Hard Drives?

(!)

Tamhbrih has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 64 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jan-2009, 06:52 PM #1
Red face Solved: Installing Software On External Hard Drives?
Hi All,
Well, I'm not very computer Savvy. My question is this: I have two external hard drives a; 250 GB and a 500 GB. I do alot of Genealogy and was wondering if I would be able to put my Family Tree Maker software program and Photo shop programs on the External Hard drives so as to save some space on my internal drive as it is getting pretty full? If so -do I do it like normal or would I have to install my Windows XP operating system on the external drives first! Any help would be appreciated as I said I'm not very litterate when it comes to computers (smile).
Thanks,
Tammy
in Idaho
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
26-Jan-2009, 06:57 PM #2
When you install software, entries are created in the system's registry and files are placed in multiple locations in the operating system. With some programs, but not all, most of the files will be in the Program Files directory.

If that drive is permanent, you can create a Program Files folder on it and install some software. Most programs will give you an option to choose the location, but not all. You may have to make the "custom" choice during installation to get that option. But be aware that the program will probably not run if you connect that drive to a different machine where it is not installed, and that space will still get used on your main drive by accessory files. So you may want to start looking for a larger or second internal drive, or enlarging the system partition if you have available space.
Computer Specs
Member with 64 posts.

26-Jan-2009, 07:03 PM #3
Elvandil,
Thank you for your fast reply. Well now I guess I shouldn't of let DELL talk me into buying the external - I really don't care about taking it and putting it on another computer - my purpose was to get more memory! Darn! well thank you for clearing that up for me!
Tammy
Computer Specs

26-Jan-2009, 07:26 PM #4
Memory is not disk space. They are completely different things. But external drives are very useful for making complete backups of your system, or for portability if you carry data from one place to another.

Macrium Reflect
Paragon Drive Backup Express

An internal drive is faster and better for installing programs. And if you got a larger main drive, you could "clone" the old to the new so you would have more space and not lose anything. Or, if you have room, you could just add a second drive internally.

There are a lot of options if you want to explore them. But programs running on externals is probably not the best solution. Externals are slower, for one thing. On the other hand, if you move music and movies to the external, you'll have more room on the internal, too.
Computer Specs
Member with 64 posts.

26-Jan-2009, 09:42 PM #5
Oops! See what I mean - I thought that your disk space was your memory - I did have more Ram memory put in awhile back. My computer crashed last week and I lost everything that I hadn't put on CD (which it had been awhile since I had done that) I have never found the back up feature on this computer? (windows XP 2002). I don't have any other computers that I would want to put my info on. When DELL wiped my hard drive and helped me reinstall my Windows operating system - they talked me into buying this External drive. I was under the impression (my bad) that this would give me more disk space. I didn't understand it or what they were really saying! I haven't received the External yet! So maybe I will return it and check into what you are saying - this is what I want - more internal disk space - although the external would come in handy to put my files on - mmmm - Thanks Elvendil! you make much more sense and I appreciate you helping this dummy (smile)!
Tammy
Computer Specs

26-Jan-2009, 10:29 PM #6
Those 2 links I posted above will show you 2 programs that can be used to make an "image" of your hard drive. If you have an image, and your drive fails or won't boot, you can restore the image and get everything, operating system, programs, and files, back to the way they were when you made the image.

So, if you can afford both, the external is still handy to have. You can make an image from time to time and then remove the external and put it somewhere safe. That way, even if there is a lightning strike, your data has a fairly recent backup and you can even restore that data to a new computer. You could also use the external to back up things that change more often, like your music collection, or whatever. It's fine to keep things on a machine, but like they say, if you want to keep it, you back it up. It's just a machine and it will fail.

But, for the programs that need to run on the computer, internal drives is really where they should be.
Computer Specs
Member with 64 posts.

27-Jan-2009, 02:48 PM #7
OMGosh Elvandil,
I have never heard of anything like the imaging thing on the links you sent - WOW! I'm still trying to comprehend it! lolol. I do so appreciate all your help and information! Sure wish I would have known this exsisted before (smile)! I probably wouldn't have patches of hair missing - lolol - it was a nightmare (three days worth) with DELL and myself - getting my computer going again! I can't thank you enough for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tammy
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,221 posts.

27-Jan-2009, 03:20 PM #8
Hi,
All the progs here
http://www.portablefreeware.com/about.php

can be run from portable drives (usb or external). You might find some here to replace some of what's on your hard drive.
Here are two you might want to look at:

The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an image editor for photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter etc. GIMP Portable is a portable package for the GIMP, so you can take your images with you and do your editing on the go.

Simple Family Tree enables you to create and view a family tree. It is able to display ancestors and descendants of any selected individual. It reads and writes files in the Gedcom (GED) format.

Richard
Computer Specs
Member with 64 posts.

27-Jan-2009, 07:01 PM #9
Richard, Thank you for the information - I really appreciate all the help I have recieved on this site! sure wish I would of found this site along time ago (smile)! Thanks bunches to all!!!!!
Tammy
Computer Specs

27-Jan-2009, 08:52 PM #10
It's nice to be appreciated.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,221 posts.

28-Jan-2009, 01:50 AM #11
It is, isn't it
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!