Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer not recognizing CDrom/DVD drive

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jan-2009, 10:27 AM #1
Angry Computer not recognizing CDrom/DVD drive
I first noticed the problem when I tried to install some software...put in the CD & nothing happened. I opened "My Computer" & the CD/DVD drive was not listed.

This is a Dell Dimension E520 purchased 12/06. I tried to search the Dell site for a driver but found nothing, only firmware. I'm not even sure exactly what combo drive I have. On the packing slip, it says "48X COMBO, BLK, DIM, M." I also did a scan on the Dell site & it says I have "CDRW/DVD, 48 Toshiba Samsung Storage Tech Serial ATA, Blk." I also looked on the Toshiba & Samsung sites for drivers or support but couldn't find anything.

I opened the computer & made sure everything was attached & to see if I could find more product info. I reattached everything, even though it was already secure. The only info I found on the combo drive is on the side it says PSHP8. There is also a sticker on the back that reads:
PSN
ISH
TSK
6918A117150L
COMBO-LF

I'm not sure if my son deleted it or what caused the computer to not recognize this driver.

Help! Thanks!
bigbear bigbear is offline   bigbear has a birthday soon!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,715 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jan-2009, 12:13 PM #2
Try This
Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG
You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : fixcd.reg
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_xp]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf_XP]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr_xp]
------------------------------ Use text before this line -----------------------------
Computer Specs

30-Jan-2009, 01:18 PM #3
OK, I tried the Notepad entry but when I tried to double click the file it said, "Cannot import....(file)/FIXCD.REG. The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor."
Computer Specs

30-Jan-2009, 04:22 PM #4
OK, I feel really stupid.... I forgot to enter all the info listed below the line into the notepad text. Duh!

So after I thought about it, tried it again & it worked! Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cd/dvd drivers, cd/dvd drives, dell

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!