Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

read a Laptop internal hard drive externally on my Desktop

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

15-Feb-2009, 06:04 PM #1
read a Laptop internal hard drive externally on my Desktop
Well the situation is this my Laptop monitor is fryed and i want to get all of my files off the hard drive and onto my desktop. the hard drive is from a HP Pavillion dv9000, the desktop is a ACER Aspire M5100-E5401A. i dont know much about this kind of thing so if theres anything else you need to know just ask.

B.T.W. the laptop is XP PRO SP2 and the desktop is XP PRO SP3
Member with 4,693 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Feb-2009, 06:36 PM #2
If you can get the hard drive out there are many adapters or enclosures that you can purchase to turn it into an external USB drive that can be read from another PC. How comfortable are you with taking the laptop apart? A better option may be to see if the laptop has an external video port that will allow you to hook up to an external monitor so that you can save your files without having to remove the drive.

Regards,
Rollin
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

15-Feb-2009, 07:05 PM #3
i have already removed the hardrive but dont know hot to hook it up to the desktop
Member with 4,693 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Feb-2009, 08:30 PM #4
You need an adapter like the one in the link below. You should also be able to find them at any major computer store. The one in the link below will allow you to connect the drive to the USB port on your desktop or another laptop. There are also cheaper adapters that will let you convert the 2.5 inch drive to 3.5 inch but this would require that you open the desktop and install the laptop drive like a normal internal hard drive. I feel you are much better off using a universal converter like that one below. I've repaired many computers in my time and these adapters are one of the most useful pieces of hardware that I own.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-DS.../dp/B000HJ99DI

Regards,
Rollin
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
desktop, externally, internal hard drive, laptop, xp pro

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!