Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Notebook not detecting external monitor

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Feb-2009, 10:34 AM #1
Unhappy Notebook not detecting external monitor
I have a gateway C-140 convertible notebook. OS Vista ultimate. I am having trouble connecting an external display such as another monitor or a projector to the VGA port. It worked in the past (less than a year ago when I tried it). I was able to connect a monitor to the docking station and when I connected the notebook to the docking station the external monitor displayed the desktop. I did not use that function much but recently I tried to connect a projector and that's where my trouble began.
Not only was the projector not detected but when I tested the system using the external monitor, it was not detected as well. I can not figure out this problem. Here's what I have tried so far:
Turned off computer, plugged in external monitor and turned on computer - thinking it would auto detect the new hardware. No luck. I tried this in both the docking station and the notebook's VGA port.
I uninstalled the video adapter, rebooted to have the generic VGA display adapter loaded, then re-installed the correct drivers which I downloaded from the intel website for Intel Chipset 965 series Mobile. No luck after reinstalling the video adapter drivers.
What else. . . When I go to the Display Properies I do see the icons for 2 screens with a big number 1 and a big number 2 in each screen. When I click on #2 it does not let me change the screen resolution. It stays on 800x600. But when I click to identify screens with the external monitor plugged in I do not get any picture.
Whe I unplug the external monitor, a message box shows on the screen that a cable is unplugged and when I plug it back into the VGA port on either the dock or notebook, the message box goes away but the monitor goes into standby mode. This tells me that at least it knows that the plug is plugged in.
However, in the Device Manage under Monitors - there is only one listed - plug and play Monitor - I'm assuming is the notebook's monitor.
Lastly, in the Display properties dialog box for the Intel Video device (Ctl+Alt+F12) I should have an option to select single display or multiple displays but the only option is for single display. All of the tech support and troubleshooting I did through Intel's website came up short.
Since it worked in the past and now it doesn't, it's driving me crazy! I've tried 2 different Monitors and a projector and nothing gets recognized.
Fn+F4 is my shortcut to swap displays but that doesn't work since the seconday display is not being recognized by the computer.
I never get the "bee-boop" tone when the external monitor is plugged in. It never asked me to, or automatically installed the drivers necessary for the other monitor.
I hope this enough information. Please help. I am quite experienced with computers but I am befuddled by this. It leads me to think that it may be a hardware problem inside the notebook or with the VGA port.

Thanks
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

21-Feb-2009, 10:41 PM #2
In the display setting window,right click the #2 monitor
and click attached and see if that brings it up.
Computer Specs

21-Feb-2009, 11:00 PM #3
nope. I get a check mark next to attached but no connection is made

22-Feb-2009, 11:29 AM #4
I am thinking that the display might be turned off and using
the proper function key (Fn) combination might turn it back on.
I can't seem to find a keyboard map that shows the functions
anywhere,so I don't know which functions do what.
Might check the manual,if you have it,and see if there is a key
combination that turns the external on and off.

Also,make sure the external is enabled in the BIOS setup.
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2009, 08:06 PM #5
Fn+F4 is the notebook/external monitor swap. Tried that. No luck. I can't help thinking that the intel drivers are causing this computer to not recognize the secondary monitor. It worked in the past and not any more.

Could there be some conflicting device or software that prevents the display settings from identifying that there is another display plugged into the VGA port?

This is making me crazy! Can't do anything else until I solve this problem.

Vista problem?
VGA port problem? I have a docking station with its own VGA port and it too does not work.
The only thing I keep coming back to are the drivers and the software.

Perhaps I did not uninstall/reinstall properly???
I use Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile - chipset 965 series.
I'm not exactly sure what "chipset means" or if there is anything else I can install or reload>?

Question - if I have this particular Graphics Device - the intel 965 chipset - Is that the only driver software that will enable it to work properly? Or is there some generic driver that I could reinstall which will activate this hardware?
Similar to the varying Monitor dirvers available - I know that there is a generic VGA driver and then there is one specific to the brand and type of monitor that you have.
Just a thought if anyone out there is listening.

Please help

22-Feb-2009, 08:44 PM #6
The chipset driver may only be for the motherboard chipset
and not the graphics.
Go here....
http://support.gateway.com/support/d...ep.asp?Tab=All
And select your model and operating system and search
for video drivers.
There are different models of the C-140.
Computer Specs

23-Feb-2009, 09:06 AM #7
In Device Manager the only thing listed in Display adapters is:
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

So from what I can see there are no additional video drivers other than what's included in this chipset.

I did go to the link you provided (been there before) and the drivers that were listed there were the updated ones that I recently installed from intel.

Still not working

23-Feb-2009, 12:06 PM #8
Only thing I can think of at this point is,if your monitor has
more than one input,you may need to switch it in the monitor menu.

You can possibly install the monitor driver in control panel/
add hardware.
Or update the driver by right clicking the desktop,
click personalize/display properties.
Select the #2 monitor.
Click the advanced button and click the monitor tab.
Click properties and click the driver tab.
Click update driver.
Computer Specs

25-Feb-2009, 07:43 AM #9
If the computer does not recognize another monitor is connected, it will not allow for me to install anything about it. It's like it's not there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!