Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

tv wont play movies from my laptop

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Feb-2009, 11:39 PM #1
tv wont play movies from my laptop
ok so i have a dell lattitude820. I have it hooked by vga to a lg 1080p lcd. the tv recognizes the laptop and can surf the web but wont play any of my movies.. they play on the laptop and tv says invalid format.. how can i fix this? thank you
IMiteBable2help has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,079 posts.

Experience: Advanced but no Expert
23-Feb-2009, 12:10 AM #2
First place I would look for answers is the manual for the TV. If you don't have one on paper, I suggest you use google to find it.

I would think that a VGA connection to a LCD HDTV would just simply display what's on your monitor, but instead display it on your TV, since your TV is essentially just a monitor with a DTV tuner. Does your laptop have HDMI output? if it does, I would use that instead of VGA. Most modern digital TV's will have HDMI inputs. I have an LCD monitor for my computer, that takes VGA or HDMI, but only use HDMI.

I'm sure there are other forum members with more experience with what you are trying to do. Be patient.

Last edited by IMiteBable2help; 23-Feb-2009 at 12:23 AM..

23-Feb-2009, 12:20 AM #3
re
it doesnt have an hdmi or svideo.. i can see the browser and surf the web but cant play movies not even reg. (not burned) movies... says invalid format.. unfortunately i have read for days and cant find it.. and i bought the tv from a friend so i dont have the manual.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,079 posts.

23-Feb-2009, 12:36 AM #4
Let me get this straight. The TV will display your browser and programs, desktop, etc? But if you play a video using your computer, what happens?

Try playing the video on your computer, using a media player on your computer. Can you see the program, windows, etc. on your TV? I'm having a hard time picturing what you are seeing.

23-Feb-2009, 01:03 AM #5
re
yup i can surf the web but when my laptop opens windows media player or nero on any dvd the movie plays on my laptop with sound and the tv goes black and says invalid format. i close wmp and the tv goes back to my laptop homepage which i can see on both tv and laptop..
Computer Specs
Member with 1,079 posts.

23-Feb-2009, 01:33 AM #6
Oh, I see. It happens when you play a DVD on your computer and try to display it on your TV.

I suspect it doesn't happen when you play a streaming video in your web browser, or a video from your hard drive, such as a AVI, WMV, MOV, etc. am I right? You can play a Youtube video in your browser and it shows up on the TV just fine? Can you play a video from your hard drive in one of these players and it will work on the TV?

Regardless of your answer, I think the issue you are having is due to the copy-protected nature of DVD content. I'm guessing these are commercial DVD's you are trying to play.

I cannot recall right at the moment what this hardware-based copy-protection is called, but it is there to prevent you from using hardware to copy a DVD. If you connect a home DVD player to a computer monitor using HDMI, it has a signal in it that prevents it from being displayed on a LCD computer monitor, even if your monitor has the right connection type. I got the same message when I input my home DVD player into my LCD computer monitor. I suspect you're having the same problem, only in reverse.

Anyone know what this hardware-based copy protection is called? I read about it when I realized that my HDMI connected home DVD player could not be displayed on my PC monitor, but I can't remember what it's called, or exactly how it works.

If this hardware-based copy protection is the cause, there's nothing we can do to help you. I don't see any reason to play your DVD's through the computer anyway, unless you just don't have a home DVD player.

EDIT: I just remembered what it's called: HDCP. Short for high-bandwidth digital-content protection, a specification developed by Intel for protecting digital entertainment content that uses the DVI interface. HDCP encrypts the transmission of digital content between the video source, or transmitter -- such as a computer, DVD player or set-top box -- and the digital display, or receiver -- such as a monitor, television or projector.

That's what's likely keeping you from displaying your computers DVD output to the TV. Keep in mind, I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty good with hunches. Just google "HDCP" to learn more. I'm pretty sure that HDCP is the cause of your issue.

Last edited by IMiteBable2help; 23-Feb-2009 at 01:46 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!