Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problems after hooking up computer to LCD TV

(!)

Member with 94 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Feb-2009, 05:26 PM #1
Problems after hooking up computer to LCD TV
I recently decided to consolidate space and figured using my 42" lcd tv would be a good idea. several factors led to this, one being that I'm about to have surgery on my hip and would rather have everthing in one place rather than hopping about my apartment. The second factor is that my current monitor is dying, or at least I thought it was.

The colors have been off for months. Dull colors were too dark and brighter collors to bright. No amoount of adjustment would get them looking right, so I figured switching to a new monitor would help. The problem is the same on the tv. Is this becase the video card is messed up?

Also, my tv doesn't dislpay the whole image of the compter screen. There is a mall portion on the right hand side of the desktop that goes off the monitor. The clock only displays the first digit of the time and when AIM is halfway visible when docked on the right side. I've tried various screen resolutions and the best looking one is 1360x768. So whats going on here? How can I remedy this?

Any help would be appreciated.
pinntech pinntech is offline pinntech has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Professional Technician
25-Feb-2009, 09:04 PM #2
Hi...

What monitor cable are you using for the MONITOR and TV? Different cables or the same one? If they are the same, you may want to try a different cable just to eliminate that as a possibility. Based on your color description this is a very good possibility. I'm not sure what you mean by "OFF".

Bad VGA cable usually produces a strong color of one type, but not always. I.e. pink tinted (actually probably red, but looks pink), green tinted, or even blue tinted screen.

As to your 42" not being "aligned", this is usually a result of the wrong frequencies set on the display output.

Something to consider when using a TV with a PC is a device like this:

IOGEAR 2-port video splitter

http://www.amazon.com/Iogear-PORT-VI.../dp/B00008PX24

That combined with a really, really good VGA cable will produce amazing results. You can run your TV and monitor simultaneously, the splitter will provide the TV with the best resolution that the TV can handle automatically up to 2048 x 1640. A very good VGA cable is very important to avoid shadows and lines. I use the CABLES TO GO ones on the stuff I install. I have 4 in action, ranging from 10 feet to 65 feet in length all look excellent!

Thanks and keep us posted!

Shane
Member with 94 posts.

25-Feb-2009, 10:02 PM #3
Thanks for responding. The cable I'm using to hook my computer up to my tv is a 6' Dynex cable purchased from best buy. It isn't the same one that connected to my old monitor. This is why I'm wondering what is up with the colors. I also get lines anywhere there is text or a picture. This also happened on my old monitor.

Now as for the wrong frequencies, where can I fix that? the tv manual gives a set of vertical and horizontal frequencies for each resolution. The only place I see anything about display frequencies is in the advanced section of the setting tab in display properties. That only gives one frequency, which is 60Hz. So how can I fix this?

25-Feb-2009, 10:12 PM #4
Hi...

Lines in the picture? That sounds more like a bad video card. Do you have one that you can switch out to test and see if the card is faulty?

To modify the frequencies you will have to go into the display settings, where you were in the ADVANCED properties.

WARNING: Be careful when using this method! It can destroy your monitor or TV. Unlikely, but still possible. READ the warning before unchecking that box, there is a warning on Windows too.

Once in the ADVANCED properites
Click on the MONITOR tab
Under MONITOR SETTINGS
UNCHECK the "hide modes that this monitor cannot display"

Before you force that, does your TV maybe have a monitor driver on the manufacturer's website? That would be nice if they had it. Or maybe they can tell you what to set to make it work or recognized by the OS?

Thanks!

Last edited by pinntech; 25-Feb-2009 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: MOVED WARNING BEFORE TASK
Member with 94 posts.

25-Feb-2009, 10:59 PM #5
well, if the video card is causing the bad colors and lines, then I guess I'll have to deal. this is and old computer. I'm not sure if any video cards out there would be compatible. Even if there is something out there, I can't afford to get one now.

I did a search on the LG site (tv is an 42LG30), but didn't find a driver for the tv. A google search turned up a site that had some homebrew drivers, but I don't want to risk that just yet. I'll see what happens with the frequencies. Just hope I don't kill my tv.

26-Feb-2009, 08:21 AM #6
Hi...

I didn't look up the specs on that computer, but it's a 1GHz machine which means it should have a few available PCI slots in it. I have a WHOLE bunch of older PCI video cards pulled from PIII 1GHz machines and I wouldn't have a problem at all sending you one for free thru my company.

One major thing to check on these OLDER computers is.....

The capacitors on the motherboard. If you feel safe doing it... check them.

Turn the computer off
Unplug the computer from the power outlet
Hold the power button for about 30 seconds to ensure discharge of rest power
Take the side of the computer case off
Look at the capacitors (little tower like parts standing UP on the mother board)

During the visual inspection, you are looking for the "X" that are pressed into the top of the capacitors; ensure that none of them have discoloration on them, or even what looks to be corrosion, or even black TAR looking substances. You are also looking for capacitors that the tops are RAISED upwards or bulged in the middle in an upwards path.

If you find any that are discolored or raised, your problem is much more than just a video card.

If you do not find any during the visual phase, you will want to put your index finger on each of them. Use the tip of your finger; do not press on the hard at all. Just lay your finger tip on them, covering the capacitor.

You should feel the edges (usually covered in colored “plastic like”) of the capacitors, before you feel the center of the capacitor (silver part, with the X in it). If you feel the middle pushing up on your finger, the capacitor is probably bad. If the top of the capacitor (sliver part with X) feels to be below the sides (edges) then the capacitor is good.

It’s hard for me to describe, but if you have ever felt or seen a bad capacitor my description will make perfect sense.

Search GOOGLE for a picture of RAISED CAPACITORS or DAMAGED CAPACITORS and see if you can find a picture. I’ll do it later, but it won’t be until this afternoon.

Anyway, if the capacitors check out, and you want me to send you a video card, just let me know!

Thanks!

Shane
Member with 94 posts.

26-Feb-2009, 05:09 PM #7
I fixed the allignment issue by switching to a frequency of 75Hz. Besides the other issue everything else looks better. Thanks for that advice.

My video card, a GeForce 2 MX, is not built in. I do have spare slots, but I could also just swap out the parts if needs be. I'm not looking for some super card. I don't really game much on this computer. All I really play is Doom and Doom II.

I'll give the capacitors a check asap. I've never worked in-depth with capacitors of this size, but I have worked with larger ones in a/c and refrigeration units. Those can store a lethal charge. I'll get back to you and let you know what I find.

26-Feb-2009, 07:20 PM #8
Great! Yes, capacitors can contain a charge, but the ones on the mother boards are very small, well coated, and luckily when you do the 30 second discharge will be "empty" so to speak.

As for the AC & REF ones... I have no idea, never even seen one before. However, I'm sure if they are BIG, they can carry a lethal charge.

Keep me updated and I'm glad you were able to fix the adjustment via the settings!

Thanks!

Shane
Member with 94 posts.

27-Feb-2009, 01:34 PM #9
Just check the capacitors on the motherboard. They look and feel fine. The "X's" do not look or feel raised. ther is no evidence of corrosion or leakage either. So I guess it's just the video card. Now you said you had some laying around that you can send my way. Lets make arrangements for that. PM so we can get the ball rolling. Hopefully it would solve my problem.

As for the capacitors that I've dealt with in the a/c-ref biz, I've seen some a lillte smaller than C batteries and some as large as a can of Fosters beer. Those can potentially be killer. Always a good rule of thumb to discharge them before workin on the system. The way I was taught is to tap the terminals with an insulated screwdriver. If it has a charge you get a nice pop and spark.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!