Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell Latitude D600 AC Adapter problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 200 posts.

Experience: uses pc and likes to understand how things work
26-Feb-2009, 09:02 PM #1
Dell Latitude D600 AC Adapter problem
I have a Dell Latitude D600. It can run on a 65W PA-12 (model HP-OQ065B83) or PA-10 (model PA-1900-02D, don't know wattage) family of Dell adapters. Both models have input of 100-240v 50-60hz, output of 19.5v. PA-12 outputs 3.34A. PA-10 outputs 4.62A.

I normally hook the laptop to the PA-12 adapter. About 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed that the icon which shows if I am on battery, AC, or AC and charging, kept flickering between AC and battery power. Finally, it stopped charging the battery in addition to not powering the laptop. I figured it was a problem with the AC adapter. Luckily, I have another PA-12 at home. So, I started using it. Everything worked for a while. Then, the 2nd PA-12 adapter started to act the same way as the first one. I have a docking station which is hooked up to a PA-10 adapter. So, I took the PA-10 and used that to run my laptop. Again this worked for a while and then the same problem. So far, 2 PA-12s and 1 PA-10 had stopped working. Then, I took the docking station (luckily it is small), connected the PA-10 to it, and docked the laptop. Everything worked. But soon after, I started getting a message that the laptop is docked, but the AC Adapter type is not recognized, and to undock the laptop or use another adapter for the docking station. I took the PA-10 and hooked it back to the laptop and removed the battery. If I play/move the adapter's plug on the laptop, sometimes the PA-10 will work. However, I get the message that the AC Adapter type is not recognized and the laptop will not run optimally. I have a choice to press F1 to continue or F2 to setup, etc. I press F1 and the laptop will boot. (This only works on the PA-10. It does not work on the 2 PA-12.) Unfortunately, the laptop will be working and suddenly decides it does not have power and turns off. All along, I thought I have a defective jack (since moving the adapter wire sometimes works). However, I have another PA-12 at work. So, I plugged my laptop to that adapter (my 3rd PA-12), and everything works. It charges the battery and runs the laptop without the battery.

My question, is something on the laptop causing the AC adapters to fail? So far, I have 3 adapters that are not working. I fear my 4th adapter will go the same way. Is this a bad jack issue (I bought replacements jacks just in case). Also, why did the laptop suddenly stop recognizing the adapters? Is there anyway I can fix the 3 adapters? (I've checked all 3 adapters with a voltmeter, they all put out the correct near 19.5 v).
Computer Specs
Member with 200 posts.

Experience: uses pc and likes to understand how things work
01-Mar-2009, 06:13 PM #2
Follow up:

I found someone with another D600 and tested the adapters. They work on his laptop. Does anyone know if this is just a jack problem or if the motherboard is the problem?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!