Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Kensington trackball in Vista 64 bit

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Feb-2009, 11:47 PM #1
Solved: Kensington trackball in Vista 64 bit
I am trying to get my trackball to play nice with Vista 64. While rooting around in Google for an answer I came across a post on this forum by derekge dated 5-19-07 saying he had a workaround that worked for him.

Quote- I just installed Kensington Mouseworks 6.22 on Vista and everything went fine except on reboot Mouseworks didn't think I had a Kensington mouse plugged in.

The fix is to look under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager upon reboot and update the driver for the mouse. Just point it to the folder where you extracted Mouseworks and it will load it up. Now you can use all the nice features. End quote. Please explain in more detail.

He may have had the 32 bit version which does play nicer with legacy drivers.
I have the 64 bit version of Vista and I finally got the Kensington MouseWorks 6.22 past the Windows Installer screening process, but alas no joy.
I even uninstalled the default mouse drivers hoping a reboot would get it to recognize the trackball.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Including alternate manufacturers drivers that might work so I can reassign buttons.

One other suggestion, if everyone who owns a Kensington K64325 Trackball would go to their website customer service and beg them for a Vista driver maybe we can brow beat them into making one.
Thanks
Gazer
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Feb-2009, 05:19 AM #2
Ok boys and girls I've found the cure, it has been tested and it is effective.
Go to:
http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=92390
and follow the first set of instuctions if you have the 64 bit vista, no chord funtions but my primary concern was swapping button assignments. No need for Kensington's drivers or their lack of support!
Hope it works for you.
Gazer
Computer Specs
Member with 1,705 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2009, 05:22 AM #3
Congrats on finding your solution. Glad it's working for you. Please mark your thread as solved (it makes it easier for others to find a solution if they have the same issue).

The Button is located above your first post on the left side.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
kesington trackball, vista 64

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!