Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

[SOLVED] Error message PXE-E61 ?

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

19-May-2002, 08:13 PM #1
Angry Error message PXE-E61 ?
I am receiving the following error message when I try to start my son's computer. PXE-E61 Media Test Failure check cable.

Needless to say I checked all cables but to now avail. I went into bios and the computer doesn't recognize the hard drive. I put in a new hard drive but still no good.

It is a Dell Optiplex Pent II 350, Windows 98, 6 gb hd, 64mb ram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve:
Member with 248 posts.

19-May-2002, 08:29 PM #2
Hi,

Not sure about the messeges, but here's some advice-

Are you familiar with single,slave & master pin jumpers? (on the hard-drive unit) Also, the ribbon cable usually has 2 spots to plug in drives: slave & master...

You need to set the pins to a single drive, and the ribbon as master...
Member with 5,520 posts.

Experience: Advanced...I guess... ;)
19-May-2002, 08:30 PM #3
PXE seems to refer to a pc that is trying to boot from the Network...

Can you go into the BIOS and disable Boot from LAN or Network ??

19-May-2002, 09:06 PM #4
Error message Pxe-E61
I am familiar with jumper settings on hard drives and I did set the new hard drive correctly but the jumpers have not been touched on the original drive that worked last night. I did go into bios and disable the nic but still the same. I wonder if it means that the hard drive is no good. Is it common for 1 to go out instantly?

Thanks,

Steve
Member with 5,520 posts.

19-May-2002, 09:22 PM #5
Well... I gues what I should've said was to check the Boot order in the BIOS and make sure that is isn't set to Boot from LAN or Network first as the error "PXE XXX Media Test Failure" ( where XXX refers to the NIC card ID ) does in fact refer to a pc that is trying to Boot from the LAN or Network first... and yes if it is enabled to Boot from LAN or Network first and it could also mean a bad hard drive or one that doesn't have an OS installed...

Last edited by Jedi_Master; 19-May-2002 at 09:28 PM..

21-May-2002, 11:44 AM #6
Smile PXE Error
Jedi_Master;

I disable the lan boot w/no pxe support in the bios and put in a new hard drive 30 gig and it is great now.

I believe the hard drive went bad and it then tried to load an os from a previous network, which caused the PXE error. The true culprit was the bad hard drive.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Steve
Member with 5,520 posts.

21-May-2002, 01:08 PM #7
Well gald to hear that it is working now...
Junior Member with 1 posts.

30-Dec-2002, 07:28 PM #8
same messages
hello,
i have been having the same message of "media test failure" "check cable" "operating system not found"
i have had this problem now for over a year along with other strange unsolved problems. sometimes i can wrangle my way back into windows and i usually loose everything and have to sart over. i crashed 3 times in one week this fall and could not get back in. i took my computer to the local shop and got a new hard drive. i thought it would be the end of my problems but it was not. i crashed again and my computer guy had to remove my hard drive and put it into another computer just to reinstall windows. he could not get in it any other way. he said what ever happened really scrambled my data and he said there was something really weird going on in there that he had never seen before. december 21st it crashed again. i am now working off a "hand me down" from a cousin till i decide what to do. i really like my computer and except for this problem it works wonderfully for what i do ( geneology ) does anyone think that maby there is something wrong in the power supply ?
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!