Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Asus Board & Nvidia card not in Love

(!)

Junior Member with 16 posts.

09-Mar-2009, 08:13 AM #1
Asus Board & Nvidia card not in Love
Hey !

I got this nice little head scratcher, I bought an Asus P5Q-EM DO motherboard and I`m having problems when I try to install my Nvidia 9800 GT card drivers.

After switching my boards, I did a fresh windows Media Center Ed. 2005 SP2 install, did all the updates for it, now when I went to install my Nvidia drivers things didn`t go too well.

The install programs runs fine, until the installation status bars nears 100%. That`s when I get a black screen with only a flashing ''_'' in the upper left corner and there`s almost no apparent PC activity. If I reboot, my pc freezes on the XP loading screen. I have to remove the device in safe mode and use the generic VGA drivers.

There are a few options in the bios to decide which graphics controller to use as the primary boot device. Configuration options: [IGD] [PCI/IGD] [PCI/PEG] [PEG/IGD] [PEG/PCI]. But Asus doesn`t give any clear indications as to what is what in these options.

Any Ideas ? Is this bios related at all ?
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Mar-2009, 12:37 PM #2
IGD=integrated graphics
PCI=PCI card graphics
PEG=PCI express graphics
You would probably want PEG/IGD.
Did you install the motherboard drivers first?
They are needed to enable the PCI express slot.
You might want to disable the onboard graphics.
Might need to use PEG/PCI when you do that.

09-Mar-2009, 01:53 PM #3
I did install all the Asus and Intel drivers first thing after installing windows, before I did all the updates.

I don`t remeber seeing any clear settings in the Bios to switch onboard graphics On/Off, probably does it automaticly when you set the proper graphics controller.

Anyways, I`ll fiddle with this tonight, I hope it`s just a hardware settings issue.
Maybe it`s just a gremlin playing with my patience.
Member with 8,250 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Mar-2009, 07:24 PM #4
r:
Which brand of nVidia 9800GT board?

Driver uninstall / re-install tips, which I received from XFX Graphics.

"Make sure that you have a clean install of drivers.
We highly recommend Driver Sweeper from http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655
and install the cleaner.
Do not run it yet.
Uninstall the current video drivers through the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs utility in the control panel.
Reboot into safe mode by pressing F8 repeatedly after the POST screen but before windows loads.
Use the driver cleaner to clean only the NVIDIA Display and ATI Display (if present) drivers.
In Vista you will have to right click the shortcut and select Run as Administrator. Install the latest drivers from the desktop and reboot into windows normally.
Also, please visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...8.24_whql.html for the latest drivers for your card.
Thanks, [ name redacted ]"

HTH
hope that helps

RF123
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

09-Mar-2009, 07:43 PM #5
Actually this is the setting you want "[PCI/PEG" as that will make either of those default if present then without a card in a slot ITG would take over.

09-Mar-2009, 10:22 PM #6
PC Info :
Intel Core 2 Cpu 6400 @ 2.13GHz
3.25 GB Ram
Physical Address Extension (?)
Windows Xp Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP3
Asus P5Q-EM DO motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT by BFG Tech

Rainforest, I did everything you said, no success, everytime I try to install the drivers it locks up after the status bar reaches 99% and goes to a black screen with flashing underscore. I've tried 5 different driver versions, making sure to completely uninstall them after each try, no difference.

I've read on the nvidia forum that it happens to people after installation, Windows will lock on the boot screen or during game play due to "bad" drivers for XP, but I've not read anything about people not being able to complete the initial installation like me. Others say that the latest drivers can invert the 2 DVI outputs on the card, but that doesn't really apply to my I think... !?

Lastly, I was wondering, should I connect my monitor to the motherboard DVI output when I want to install the GFX Card ? I didn't when I installed it on my old board, everything worked great.
Member with 38 posts.

09-Mar-2009, 10:34 PM #7
Tried disabling your anti virus when you're installing the drivers?
Member with 8,250 posts.

09-Mar-2009, 11:38 PM #8
R:
RATS!

DJF's question is very important.

Did you install the drivers in normal mode or safe mode?

This may have confused you. You need to install the drivers in safe mode.
"Reboot into safe mode by pressing F8 repeatedly after the POST screen but before windows loads.
Use the driver cleaner to clean only the NVIDIA Display and ATI Display (if present) drivers.
In Vista you will have to right click the shortcut and select Run as Administrator. Install the latest drivers from the desktop and reboot into windows normally."

It is rare, but sometimes an AV program item will run in safe mode. You may need to consider uninstalling your AV program. I do not recommend this step at this time, but I want to be sure that I remember to mention this point.

Thanks, again, DJF, for your comment.

Verify that you have downloaded the latest nVidia drivers.

I went to www.nvidia.com > support
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us >
selected "9" series
Select OS [ Win 32 ]
Selected language [ English ]
Took me to: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...2.08_whql.html

If you choose a different OS or English, your site may be different.

RF123

If you provide the link, we will help you.
Member with 38 posts.

09-Mar-2009, 11:55 PM #9
Another note with downloading NVIDIA drivers is that recently they seem to have been infected with a trojan. This was as of a couple weeks ago, and I did get it verified with Bullguard via LiveChat (and cleaned). So it might be a good idea to scan the drivers before trying to install them.
Member with 8,250 posts.

10-Mar-2009, 02:44 AM #10
DJF:
Hmmm. I was not aware of that. Nothing surprises me these days. Thanks for the update.

Had you downloaded the drivers from nVidia.com ?

Do you use Bullguard?

I use AVG Internet Security which scans each download after the download has finished. I realize that no AV engine will catch every V every time.

Thanks again for the education.

RF123
Member with 38 posts.

10-Mar-2009, 04:03 AM #11
Yea, I use Bullguard. I did download them from nvidia.com, and I must say I was very surprised when Bullguard alerted me to the infection. It may have been infected for only a short while, but I still managed to catch it out.
Computer Specs

10-Mar-2009, 07:57 AM #12
How about giving us the make and model numbers of the ram you used. By any chance have you tried running memtest86 on your ram?
www.memtest.org

10-Mar-2009, 05:52 PM #13
Allrighty folks, here it is !

My ram:
OCZ PC2 6400 4-4-3 @ 2.1V
Platinum Series 2GB
P.N.: OCZ2P800EB4GK

Memtest readout :
L1 Cache 32K 30048 Mb/s
L2 Cache 2048K 13944 Mb/s
Memory 4030M 4010 Mb/s
Chipset Intel Q45/Q43 - FSB: 266Mhz Type DDR2
Settings: Ram : 399<hz (DDR779)
Cas: 5-5-5-18 / Dual Channel

It reported no errors after a hour long test.

Now, I did install the drivers in safe mode this time, instead of just cleaning the old driver install in safe mode.
The only difference it made was that I saw a 2nd install status bar appear for PhysX this time, after it was completed, it asked to reboot and so I did....
Then I found myself staring at the Windows XP load screen without any PC activity. dammit !
I ran Prime95 for a while to see if my CPU is ok, I though it could have been damaged when it switched boards, but everything seems fine.

Kaspersky reports no signs of viruses.

Any other ideas ?
I really appreciate you guys helping me BTW.
Computer Specs

10-Mar-2009, 06:19 PM #14
Have you got any other video card you can try in the board, because this makes no sense at all unless the board is NG, which I think is the answer. I stopped using Asus because one out of every 2 I bought worked.

10-Mar-2009, 06:33 PM #15
unfortunatly, my last video card got shorted out (mysterious PC to TV **** up ! ), I can't use it.

BTW, my graphics lag alot just by simply using windows & Firefox. I'm running 1280 x 800 32bit, this is while my monitor is plugged throught the VC, if it's plugged throught the IGB with the VC taken out, it doesn't lag at all & the max res. is 1680 x 1050.

Anyway to test my PciE slot without getting a hold of another VC ??

Last edited by Rotteuxx; 11-Mar-2009 at 09:50 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!