Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Gateway Solo 5300 help!!!

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

13-Mar-2009, 01:00 AM #1
Gateway Solo 5300 help!!!
Hi all...I'm not sure where else to go with this question...Gateway is not helping at all and I'm not the most technical person when it comes to computers...
I have a Gateway Solo 5300 laptop (from 2001 I believe). I recently pulled it out of storage and needed to restore it to its original settings. I followed the instructions using the System Restoration Kit: once disc 2 (version 98, rev.1.2) is in, I follow the prompts, but after the "install automatically" screen and Agreement to Terms is selected, the screen continues and flickers then goes black - the computer is still on (according to the power button), but nothing is happening (cd stops running). I have absolutely no idea what to do and the budget is extremely tight so taking it in is out of the question. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Member with 8,250 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Mar-2009, 02:20 AM #2
J M 6:
Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

If it was in storage in a temperature controlled environment, the PC is probably OK. It is possible that there is a heat issue; perhaps dust bunnies or animal fur or critters / pests built a nest inside the Solo.

I am not familiar with your specific mode. In general, Gateway had previously advised:
Install OS;
Install Drivers Manually: 1st install Chipset; then Video; then Lan / NIC / Ethernet.
Then, go online and look for more / updated drivers. The last time I tried that, < 3 months ago, I received a message on screen that because Gateway had been engulfed by some other computer mega company.

I hope this information is useful.

If you can find a repair manual online, please provide the link. I will be glad to read it and provide additional comments.

Best of success.

RF123

13-Mar-2009, 11:14 AM #3
Gateway Solo 5300
Thank you for the advice! The comp. was stored in a case indoors, so it should be fine.
And I know this is a silly question, but what specifically do I do to accomplish those steps? (I'm a bit computer illiterate now that I'm out of college and don't have to use it as much). Thank you again! I truly appreciate it.

Here's what I think you were asking for: http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...143.pdf#page=1

13-Mar-2009, 03:09 PM #4
Gateway Solo 5300...another issue
and now the computer's (solo) saying that it can't find the network adapter (it's shows the wireless but is unable to connect and can't even locate the LAN) so I can't get online using that computer... good grief!
Member with 8,250 posts.

13-Mar-2009, 11:46 PM #5
J M 6:
I started as a beginner, too.

With no disks in your optical [ ?CD ] [ DVD / CD combo ? ] drive, open "my computer.
Which drives are present?
If you have a floppy disk drive [ FDD ], you will see an A: drive.
Your hdd [ hard disk drive ] will be, usually, C:
What else to you see?

Put a music CD or other entertainment CD into the optical drive. Close drive door.

What happens?

If you have the patience & persistence, we have the time and knowledge.
;up:

When did you last have a network, non wireless, connection? This connection is called, variably: NIC, network, ethernet.
What kind of cable connects, for your network; ethernet or USB? Does your computer connect to the internet directly to a modem, or through a router?

If recently, what changed?

If ethernet, near the place where the network cable attached to your computer, USUALLY, there are 2 or 3 LEDs [ lights ]. With a good connection, the green LED should be illuminated.
Verify that a puppy or cat has not chewed the ethernet cable.

RIGHT click "my computer"
Left click "manage"
maximize screen
on left, left click "device manager"
across the top, left click "view " > "show hidden devices"
On the right side, look for items that have yellow circles with black "!" and / or red circles with white "x", or white circles with red "x".

Do you know how to copy files to a floppy disk or flash drive?

Do your problem PC & the PC you are currently using each have FDDs?

Do you own a flash drive? Do you know how to copy files to a flash drive?

RF123

Last edited by rainforest123; 13-Mar-2009 at 11:53 PM..

18-Mar-2009, 03:54 PM #6
Gateway solo 5300...continued
Okay... (Hopefully I cover everything you've asked)

First: I see Floppy A: drive, HardC: drive, CD D: drives (A: & D: are removable drives)

When I put in a music/dvd using Windows Media (the only media program I have on that computer) gives me an error "Internal Application Error Has Occurred" (so we'll add that to the list ...haha)

The last network connection was at least 2+ yrs. ago @ a previous residence - using the (external) wireless card and wireless router (still using the wireless router for this newer computer just fine) The last time I connected directly, was using an ethernet cable in college (probably close to 7 yrs. ago).

I've been trying to reconnect using a USB cable directly to the router. My sister was over the other day with her laptop and was able to connect directly to router using same cable. All cables are okay - no chew marks that I know of.

I ended up getting a new laptop when I moved so I haven't really used this one until now.

When Device Manager is open - the following show problems:
Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver
HTTP

I CAN copy using a data CD
Newer laptop doesn't have a floppy drive
No flash drive as well

Hope some of this will help. Thank you again for your time and expertise. Have a great day.
Member with 8,250 posts.

18-Mar-2009, 10:43 PM #7
J M 6:
Thanks for your reply.

Is this your laptop?
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/.../P5300nv.shtml

Which version of Windows? If XP, which XP?
RIGHT clcik "my computer"
Left click "properties"
Which service pack?

Did you run the S R K? If so, did you put the CD into the CD drive while in Windows and run S R K from within Windows? I think you have to put it in, immediately after turning on the computer and boot from the CD. i don't understand the error you report, when you put a music CD into your drive. If your computer recognized the S R K CD, during the boot process, that means that your CD drive works, at some level, but not within Windows.

Boot to safe mode.
See: http://jayloden.com/SafeMode.htm
use the up / down arrow keys to highlight / select "safe mode"
"enter"
acknowledge that your computer is running in safe mode.
Then, put a music CD into your CD drive. It probably won't play. If it does not play, open "my computer". RIGHT click your CD drive. Left click "explore".

We can do this 1 of 2 ways. We can try to fix the problems, or you can re-install Windows & your programs.

Please provide a step by step account of the steps you took, to run the system restoration kit [ S R K ].
How many disks? What are the labels?
Do you have:
Operating System?
Drivers?
Applications?

If not, Gateway's S R K is a tool / utility that is an image; it is designed to put your computer's software to the state it was in when your computer left the Gateway factory.

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWAR...orestore.shtml
Using the SRK

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWAR...3215faq8.shtml
SRK FAQs

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals...497.pdf#page=6
Restoraton options

source: http://search.support.gateway.com/ip...ration&x=0&y=0

If you have questions, please look through all 100 hits / results, if you need for help with S R K. I will try to help you, but you have the S R K disk[s] in front of you. Some of the hits refer to specific S R K versions. Look closely on the CD[s].

Because you are encountering additional issues, your ram / memory or hard disk drive [ HDD ] may be failing.

Run check disk, a utility built into Windows
RIGHT click "my computer"
Left click "Properties"
"tools" tab
error checking section
click "check now"
put checks in each of the boxes.
OK
Windows will inform you that it needs exclusive access of the disk and ask if you want to schedule the test the next time the PC boots.
"YES".
Save your important files, to a flash drive or data CD.

Re-start your PC.
After check disk has finished:

start > run
type: eventvwr.exe
OK
Maximize screen.
On left, left click on "applications"
On right, look for an entry called winlogon
RIGHT click on the winlogon entry
Left click "properties".

Repeat for "system" if you don't see winlogon in "applications"
After you have opened winlogon properties, left click icon on the icon with 2 pieces of paper, on the right side of the property box. This will copy the information about the error to your computer's clipboard.

You can paste it into notepad, save notepad file, then attach notepad file to your post, or you can open this thread and paste to the message box.

Send a screen shot.

On your keyboard, look for a key labeled "print screen" OR "PrtSc" OR "PRN SCN" or some variation.
When you want to capture that which is displayed, press the print screen button.
Open Paint [ start > programs / all programs > accessories > paint [ rarely MS Paint]
Maximize Paint
left click "edit"
Left click "paste"
file > save as.
Save the file to any location of your choice.
File name: your choice, for example: "filename"
save as type: left click down pointing arrow. Left click jpg / jpeg
Left click "save" / "ok".

The file name has now been saved as filename.jpg [ or filename.jpeg ].

Return to the thread.
Left click "go advanced".

Left click "manage attachments"
left click "browse"
browse to the location, on your computer, where you saved "filename.jpg"
Left click filename.jpg
left click "open"
left click Upload"
close window of upload screen after the file has been uploaded.

enter text into the reply area.
left click "submit"

put a CD in your CD drive
After the error appears, close the error message and any other screens.

start > run
type: eventvwr.exe
OK
Maximize screen.
On left, left click on "applications"
On right, look for errorsthat refer to your cdrom, or any other errors that occured at the time you tried to play the music CD.

RIGHT click said error[s].
Left click "properties".

Repeat for "system" .
After you have opened the error's properties, left click icon on the icon with 2 pieces of paper, on the right side of the property box. This will copy the information about the error to your computer's clipboard.

You can paste it into notepad, save notepad file, then attach notepad file to your post, or you can open this thread and paste to the message box.

Which is the newer computer; Solo 5300 or other?

If you do not have a flash drive, consider buying one, if there are files on the Solo that you want to save.

"I CAN copy using a data CD " Does this apply to the Solo 5300 or the newer PC?

If you make a comment in reference to the Solo 5300, please state that. When more than 1 computer is involved, confusion occurs easily.

page 131 of the link you provided has information as to how to enter the BIOS / setup, to verify that the boot order is to look:
Immediately after turning on your Solo 5300, tap the F2 key.
1st floppy disk drive
2nd CD rom
3rd HDD

Check http://support.gateway.com
Try to find a diagnostic program for your HDD.

Locate the serial number, which is probably on a sticker on the back / bottom of your Solo

If so, try to find a downloads page that includes diagnostics. If you can't find one, we can try Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test
www.hgst.com
support > downloads
DFT
Do you know how to make a bootable CD from a .iso file?
Which CD burning software is on your current computer; the one that works, not the Solo 5300?

If you find a HDD diag download, please provide me with the page address / URL

Test your FDD [ floppy disk drive ] to make sure it works.

Open "my computer"
RIGHT click "C:" drive
properties
hardware tab
What is there?

If you become confused or stumped, exaplain that hwich happened. If you try to follow instructions at a web page, please include that web page address / URL in your post to this thread.

RF123

09-Apr-2009, 07:36 PM #8
Gateway Solo 5300 problems continued...
Thank you for the reply, Rainforest. I apologize for the delay...in-laws were in town for 3 weeks....

The link you provided was my laptop (Solo 5300).
Currently running Windows XP Pro (2002) - do NOT see any service packs (though I could have sworn I had downloaded at least the first after upgrading to XP, but oh well.)

I have tried using the Gateway System Restoration Kit: (original version of Windows is 98/2000/ME I believe)
  1. Disc 1 Version 7.5 : contains hardware drivers, partial back of apps and NT 4.0 Driver Locator utility.
  2. Disc 2 Version 98 rev. 1.2: contains Operating System restoration program
  3. Disc 3 Version 3.6: contains backup of applications
I did insert Disc 1 right after I started computer (Solo) and it gave me 2 options before it got to the Windows XP screen: Boot from Harddrive or Boot from Disc. If I had selected Boot from Disc, it takes me to a DOS prompt screen to type in a DOS command.

When I run Disc 1 after IN Windows a box pops up with an Update Tab and a Restore Tab. When the Restore Tab is clicked, a message says:

"System Recovery Process: You can use this CD set to completely reinstall Windows and other software. To begin this process click 'Restart'. After the system restarts choose the option, "Install Windows" and follow the on-screen instructions". I then click on the Restart button on the bottom of the box. My Disc drive pops open, a box pops up on the screen saying "Please insert the CD labeled "System Rest. Kit- Disc 2". I insert the disc and Windows restarts (with Disc 2 is running)

Once restarted I have 2 options: Install Windows or Go to Windows. I select option one. Then a bunch of computer info. pops up on the black screen and then a message saying "Preparing your computer to reinstall Windows."

Then a Gateway screen pops up:
Install Type - Choose the method you want to use to install Windows and other related Gateway software.
- Automatic installation (recommended)
- Manual installation (for Advanced users)

I've only tried Automatic Installation. Clicked on Next tab after selecting Automatic Install. option. License Agreement pops up. I accept Terms and select Next button.

Next part/page of reinstall page says:
"Ready to Prepare Hard Drive:
The installation Wizard is ready to prepare your computer for setup and copy the setup file needed. Click next to continue."
I click Next button.
Solo 5300 creen goes black with cursor key blinking then goes completely dark (computer is still on and I can hear the Disc kick on). Then a few seconds later the screen is still black (no cursor, nothing on screen), Disc stops "running" (can't hear it anymore) but computer is still showing that power is on. I've waited for an hour sometimes two thinking it was just a really long process but nothing had changed - almost like the computer is off (only the power LED light is still 'on'). That's as far as I have gotten with the reinstall process.

I have tried to reinstall my Windows XP Disc as well on the Solo 5300 and does not seem to actually reinstall.

I restarted (Solo 5300) in safe mode (thanks for the instructions), put in music cd and followed your directions. Cd did not play, right clicked on My Comp. > left clicked on Explore. If I try to play any of the tracks a window pops up saying Windows Media Player: "An internal application error has occurred"

I don't mind reinstalling Windows and all other programs if I need to - even if that means restoring to factory settings.

Ran Chkdsk on Solo 5300. Went to My Computer (right click), Hard disk (C selected, right click > properties >Tools> Checked both boxes in Check Disk, Scheduled to run next time Windows is retarted. Once Windows restarted, ran Chkdsk.

I am unable to transfer files from the old laptop (Gateway Solo 5300 ) to my new one (Compaq) b/c the old Solo 5300 only has a floppy and CD drive (not writeable). So I literally copied (typed out) the Application Winlog (and other error notepad files) from the Solo 5300's Notepad file to the new Compaq Notepad and saved it. So I probably won't be able to save and send you any screen shots as well on the old Solo 5300. The computer I'm using to "communicate" is newer - a Compaq from 2007.

Nothing really important to save on the old (Solo 5300) computer - mostly college papers, etc. I can copy using a CD on the NEWER (Compaq) comp. (so that doesn't really help too much, does it?), not the old (Solo 5300) one.

And the old Solo 5300 is not connecting to the internet (that's what started the whole thing, then I figured out there were other things wrong with the Solo 5300).

The newer laptop - the Compaq uses Nero to burn CDs.

When I look at the C: Properties> Hardware (Solo 5300) - I see TOSHIBA MK2023GAS Disk Drives and Floppy Disk Drive. Says Device Status: This device is working properly.
(FYI - the Floppy Drive (A and the CD Drive swap out from the same spot/port from the Solo 5300 laptop)

Thanks again for all of your help and patience! Have a great day.
Attached Files
File Type: txt AppWinlog4-2009.txt (1.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: txt AppError1.txt (526 Bytes, 85 views)
File Type: txt AppError2.txt (508 Bytes, 82 views)
Member with 8,250 posts.

10-Apr-2009, 03:22 AM #9
J:

No problem with me. I think TGF closes threads without activity during a 4 week period.

Consider purchasing a flash drive or external [ USB ] CD drive [ DVD burner if your Solo has optical burning software, or the external drive comes with burning software ]. Be sure that any software is compatible with SP 0.

AppWinLog = normal findings.

What task[s] was your computer performing when the errors occurred?

D :\ drive is referenced, error 2.
We know that your CD drive is working, at some level, because of your progress with disk 1 of the Gateway recovery disks.
Check the 2nd disk for scratches, gunk, pits.

Set your computer to show all files, unhide extensions, and display protected microsoft / operating system files.
http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Hidde...-in-Windows-XP

Set XP"s search to search hidden & system files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302347

Then, search for a folder called i386 that contains files such as:
filename.dL_
The trailing underscore "_" is the key. If you have found it, you can make a Windows XP installation CD. You will need a flash drive > 1 GB, or need to take your Solo's hard disk drive out of the laptop & connect it to your other computer.

If you find such a folder, you can make your own Windows Installation CD.
http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm#XP

Then, you would :
1. Backup your data;
2. re-format your hard drive
3. install Windows;
4. Install drivers, in order mentioned earlier in this thread;
5. upgrade to XP SP3;
6. obtain all other critical / high importance updates;
7. install your programs;
8. restore your data.

Also, test your computer's memory / ram, using MemTest86, www.memtest.org

Or Microsoft's Mem Diag. In your situation, I suggest this tool, because I think you need to run the diag for at least 8 hrs. From a bootable CD, I do not know how to run it for that length of time. The Microsoft Mem Diag will run, until you stop it.

You will need to download the .ISO and make a bootable CD, with Nero.

See this for help burning a .ISO to make a bootable CD.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...7-b4dbfa6f23e2

These 2 run within Windows.
Also, run OCCT, a CPU stressor http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

and a CPU fan test, http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I commend you on your dedication to this thread.

RF123

Last edited by rainforest123; 10-Apr-2009 at 04:20 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
gateway solo 5300, restore

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!