Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Processor Upgrade for eMachines EL1210-09

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Mar-2009, 08:10 PM #1
Post Processor Upgrade for eMachines EL1210-09
Does anyone know whether or not I can upgrade my current processor? I have an eMachines WMCP78M motherboard. The current processor is a 2.4 Ghz AMD Athlon LE-1620. I just bought this computer, but with single core processors going the way of the dinosaur I wanted to know if I could upgrade this while the AM2 socket is still serviced. This case is a low profile case. In other forums, I've read that I may need to upgrade the cooling fan if I upgrade the processor. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Mar-2009, 10:57 PM #2
The problem is that many slim-line cases has very limited cooling options. If its airvent is right above the CPU, it would help in bringing in cool aire. But not good way to remove the hot air.

Your CPU should be the 45watt class. So replacing it with another 45watt class CPU should work. But you need to use the fan included with your ACER since its non-standard - (Its using an intel design on an AMD cpu)

Here are some choices: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=
Computer Specs

18-Mar-2009, 11:06 PM #3
Thanks Compiler
I'm very new to this whole thing so please be patient. So with the recommendations you listed, I can use the same motherboard? Will I need to add more or better items? Where can I go to have this done economically?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

19-Mar-2009, 12:08 AM #4
You have no choice but to use the same motherboard.

You can buy one of those CPUs ($55~65) and install it yourself. It should require a scerw driver to un-latch the 4 locking screws. You'd have to clean the heatSinkfan and apply new heat sinke compoung (artic silver, refer to manual on application).

A local PC shop should be able to do it in about 5~10 minutes and charge $25~50.
Computer Specs

20-Mar-2009, 09:01 PM #5
Compiler,

I chose the AMD 5050e and upgraded the memory from 2GB to 4GB. The disk drive does not auto play now and defrag took 3 hours today!! This did not happen prior to the upgrades. Have I done something wrong? The system recognizes the OS and my data, screensaver, etc..
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

21-Mar-2009, 08:23 AM #6
Does the emachine tell you what kind of CPU is installed? With the LE-1620 CPU, its a pretty recent computer. Remove the NEW memory and see how the computer is with just the CPU.

Did you ADD memory or replace it?
Computer Specs

21-Mar-2009, 08:36 AM #7
Upgrade for eMachines EL 1210-09
The computer came with two sockets. Socket 0 and socket 1. Each socket came from the manufacturer with 1 GB stick per socket. I had both sticks removed and upgraded them to 2GB each. So, I replaced memory. I had this stuff done at Fry's ( a major retailer ) because I wanted to avoid these issues. The CPU that came with the computer was the AMD LE 1620 just as you predicted. AM2 socket. Please help!!
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

21-Mar-2009, 08:50 AM #8
It takes 2 minutes to install your original memory.

Did you CONFIRM if the eMACHINE is complaining that it doesn't know what CPU youre using? Also use CPUZ (below) to confirm what your computer thinks it has for a CPU - tell us the info or upload a screenshot. Info you can type; CPU model # and its clock speed (mhz). Use this tool: CPU ID info: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Does the computer feel any slower or faster otherwise?

Since FRY's installed it, they are responsable for making sure the upgrade is working.

What memory did you buy? Brand & model #.
Computer Specs

21-Mar-2009, 09:34 AM #9
Processor Upgrade
It takes 2 minutes to install your original memory.

Did you CONFIRM if the eMACHINE is complaining that it doesn't know what CPU youre using? Also use CPUZ (below) to confirm what your computer thinks it has for a CPU - tell us the info or upload a screenshot. Info you can type; CPU model # and its clock speed (mhz). Use this tool: CPU ID info: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Does the computer feel any slower or faster otherwise?

Since FRY's installed it, they are responsable for making sure the upgrade is working.

What memory did you buy? Brand & model #.

Original Memory? The computer says its expandable to 4GB.
The eMachine does recognize the new CPU and the new memory. The CPU model number? I had the AMD 5050e installed. The computer seems to be a little faster when loading but like I said, the defrag took 3 hours! The memory is:

4GB DDR2 PC6400 DUAL CHANNEL KIT / KINGSTON
KINGSTON:
FRYS.com #: 5622671

4GB / (2X2GB) MODULES / DDR2 PC6400 MEMORY / 800MHz / KINGSTON / KVR800D2K2/4GR
Kingston ValueRAM products are engineered to meet industry standard specifications and rigorously tested to ensure quality. Kingston ValueRAM is ideal for those who purchase memory by spec and are looking for competitvely priced generic memory that is 100-percent tested to meet industry specifications.

SPEED 800MHz
(2X2GB) MODULES

Here is the CPU:
AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core
Energy Efficient 5050e
ADH5050DOBOX
AMD:
FRYS.com #: 5797032

Processor: Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core
Model Number: 5050e
Core Speed: 2600MHz
Wattage: 45W
L2 Cache Size: 512KB x2
CMOS: 65nm SOI
Socket: AM2
Warranty: 3 YR
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

21-Mar-2009, 11:08 PM #10
No, that is not what I said.

I ask you what does CPU-Z report back about your CPU, not what the box says.

You can also run a benchmARk from PC wizard (link below on my sig) and see how it reports your CPU performance and how it compares to other CPU. Also benchmark your HD.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!