Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internal Fuse blown on Dell Dimension Desktop 2300

(!)

Member with 45 posts.

01-Apr-2009, 01:08 AM #1
Internal Fuse blown on Dell Dimension Desktop 2300
This question is for my family member that moved their desk, moved a wire on back of his tower and no matter what, this tower will not turn back on.

I'm assuming there was a fuseable link that blew that caused the power failure.

Instead of following the standard idea of calling someone to fix it, they have taken it to a repair shop that "may" take 5 days for the fix.

My question,

Was this something very simple to correct? It was connected to a battery back up and I don't know if a surge caused this...who knows.

Are there parts exploded views of the product makers equipment that shows this possible problem?

I just feel that they should of called a computer repair service and fix it right on the spot, no other way.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
01-Apr-2009, 01:29 AM #2
It's hard to say. There are fuses inside power supplies, but they are usually soldered in and not accessible. A new power supply is the likely fix, and that could be done quickly on the spot.

After the power supply is the main board. That gets 12 or 5 volts and may or may not be fused at all, but if it is, that is probably soldered, too. But any wires accessible from the back would be a danger possibly to the power supply, but not the board. If no surge or short went to the board, the power supply replacement should take care of it.

Someone familiar with the model who had the right power supply could replace it in 5 minutes. If they never saw that model before in their lives and took some time getting the case off, 10 minutes. If that didn't do it, then the shop.

Some few machines have unusual power supplies that are for that model only. But the large majority of them, well over 90%, are generic and the same shape and size.

Last edited by Elvandil; 01-Apr-2009 at 01:40 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 11,419 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Apr-2009, 02:28 AM #3
I had a 2300 and the power cord is not fused, there may be a fuse in the power supply but I don't remember one. As a Dell Dimension 2300 (i got mine in 2002) is basically a very old computer, (by todays standards) it may just be that the power supply has died. ANd on a Dell that old it may have a propriatary power supply that is not wired in the standard ATX way. Dell was one of the companies that got caught on that.
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Apr-2009, 02:30 AM #4
I've replaced Dell power supplies using this company:
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/index.htm
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!