Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HP Workstation xw8200 not recognizing SATA drives

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Apr-2009, 10:03 PM #1
HP Workstation xw8200 not recognizing SATA drives
I have an HP workstation xw8200 with CD, USB & no floppy drive, that is not recgonizing the Sata hard drives at boot up.

There are 2 Hitatchi 400Gig SATA drives that I am trying to array with RAID 0 striping

Specs:
HP's BIOS 2.10 rev
LSI MPT BIOS IME 5.10.02
3Ware BIOS Escalade Raid Controller Driver 8506-4LP
2 Hitachi 400 Gig 7K400 SATA drives

I am trying to install Windows XP professional and keep getting an error during install of:

"Setup did not find a Hard drive installed on this computer"

During Boot sequence it reads LSI MPT Boot Rom - No Devices found

If I let boot without install disk I get the message "Non system disk or Disk Error"

The boot sequence message shows that it sees the 2 400 Gig SATA drives.

I have tried slipstreaming the SATA driver into the Windows install disk using nLite but that does not work either. I feel like this is a config error. Any help would be appreciated.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,612 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Apr-2009, 10:23 AM #2
During set up are you pressing F6 to install the third party SATA drivers? If you have done that try disabling SATA in the BIOS and set IDE as your drivers.
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 11:38 AM #3
Unfortnuately yes. I do not have a floppy drive. Windows requires the drivers to be only accessible during F6 function via floppy, so I created a custom install ISO integrating the drivers into the install disk using nLite.

Here is my F10 BIOS setup settings:

Storage Options:
- Sata Configuration (Add as a separate controller)
- Primary IDE Controller (Enabled)
- Secondary Controller (Enabled)

Controller Order:
- Integrated IDE (First)
- 3Ware Storage Controller (Second - This is ATA Raid Controller Escalade)
- Integrated SATA (Third)

Onboard Devices:
- SATA Raid Controller - (Do not configure)

Device Options:
- SATA RAID option ROM (Disable)
- SCSI Option ROM (Disable)

Doe this look correct? Thanks.
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 12:40 PM #4
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 01:10 PM #5
Still confused
Thanks, that helps define the menus I am using, although my issue is not knowing what configuration settings to enable or disable or if there is a specific order I should be putting the controllers in to make the drives readable.

I feel like I have conflicting settings that are not allowing the system to recognize the drives at startup. If I boot up without an operating system disk should I not get dumped to a blank screen with c:\ ? I have deleted and recreated the array, so the drives should be blank.

I'm not sure I am even getting that far based on the "Non system disk or disk error message"

Should I reset to the defaults and enable everything or are their specific items that need to always be on in the config above or should be turned off/not configured? Any thoughts? I am willing to try anything at this point.

I downloaded and created a diagnostic disk from HP support site and it starts half way up and then hangs.....

Thanks again...
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 01:32 PM #6
the non disk error is apparently normal! see this guide it may help

http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_sa...aid_boot.shtml
Computer Specs

13-Apr-2009, 08:30 PM #7
Thanks Zeddy. I had Easter Bunny Duties yesterday. Your help has been greatly appreciated. I will need to sit down and probably rebuild from scratch. I will let know you after I read all the threads and go through the steps if it works. Cheers mate.

Tim
Computer Specs
Member with 175 posts.

Experience: destroyed/saved a few
13-Apr-2009, 09:00 PM #8
Hi TimFitz 100 percent that is no SATA drivers being loaded, that is why the install hangs when it changes to Windoze, Sorry Windows. The best idea is to bundle a large variety of drivers to cover all bases. This site makes a file that integrates into the nlite application. http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/download.php?pag=m . It will have the right one that will get you going. Vista and 7 have a similar pack, but sata came after xp.
Computer Specs

13-Apr-2009, 10:40 PM #9
Multi Drive pack
Thanks. I downloaded the diver file form the site. It has a lot of subfolders/drivers. (144 of them)

Will nLite integrate all the drivers during the custom build (Selecting multiple drivers) or do I need to trial and error one at a time? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 175 posts.

Experience: destroyed/saved a few
15-Apr-2009, 06:03 AM #10
Hi
Yes, nlite will put the whole folder into the right place, and it is all in the right format. There is a LAN pack if you need to load NIC drivers it also fits right in. It makes a very handy copy of XP. There are also specialty Intel and AMD packs but that one should do you.
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2009, 07:09 PM #11
Still failing on XP not recognizing hard drives
I slipstreamed all the drives with no errors using nLite, I unfortunately am still getting the F3 screen once it loads all the drivers during the XP install startup. It states it does not recognize the hard drive device. I am assuming that since it's a external SATA Raid controller I need to tell the BIOS to not load some IDE or ROM setting to not default to avoid no Devices detected during boot. Thats why I think its a config setting problem.

When the system defaults to an onboard IDE drive and you are using installed SATA drives requiring another controller, should I be turning something off during the boot process. I have tried numerous settings with no luck. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2009, 08:09 PM #12
HP DIagnostics disk fails as well
I am also trying to run the HP downloaded XW8200 diagnostics disk at boot. It loads 2 files then throws a about 5 rows of periods on the screen then hangs on the load of:the second file as below. No idea why it hangs. I'm guessing it can't acknowledge the drive again.

1) vmlinuz
2) initrd.img . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. .
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!