Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer overheated, wont start up

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 59 posts.

13-Apr-2009, 11:15 PM #1
Computer overheated, wont start up
I've got an asus a7n8x deluxe with an 8600gtm vid card and a core2duo processor.

anyway like a fool i left it on my bed with a game idling, when i came back to it, it was hot as hell, but still on and functioning properly.

i immediately checked my temps and it read 95C, which is 5C away from the critical temp (which it has been before, and shuts down), but things were still up and running, albeit a little slow...

i immediately turned it off the cool it down, and when i went to turn it on a few minutes alter...nothing. it makes the noises it usually does, the lights flash, cd rom makes its usual noise, ran runs, but nothing psots on the screen, and i dont hear the windows startup theme.

I took apart msot of the things i could to check them out, no burn marks, nothing smelled burnt, no smoke, everything seems fine! even the processor looked fine, but the mother wont start up. anyne know whats going on? I dont get why it was still runing fine when i got to it, but wont boot up now...
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,152 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Apr-2009, 03:44 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmercll View Post
it makes the noises it usually does
What noises? Usually if a computer doesn't post it won't make any beep or buzzer sounds.
Computer Specs
Member with 59 posts.

14-Apr-2009, 10:05 AM #3
i turned off the noise my laptop made when it starts up, some really distorted loud flame noise, so usually startup is pretty silent, aside from the cdrom drive making some noise and the fan starting up, which still do.

all the led's and lights work, the fan is even responsive to he processor getting hot, but the computer still wont show anything.

i was hoping it just needed some time, but it still isnt working this morning, sound like somethings fried?
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2009, 10:21 AM #4
If it doesn't beep or make any system sounds, and displays nothing on the screen, then it's not POSTing, and your motherboard is most likely fried.
Computer Specs
Member with 59 posts.

14-Apr-2009, 10:37 AM #5
it couldn't be the processor or VGA? any idea how i can tell which is fried?

if all three are gone there's no point to repairing it
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2009, 04:44 PM #6
When it doesn't post it's the motherboard. Usually it costs more to repair a laptop's board than just buying a new laptop. If the warranty has expired I would take it to a repair store or call the ASUS technical team and ask if it can be repaired.
Computer Specs
Member with 59 posts.

14-Apr-2009, 04:57 PM #7
really? TBH thats good news to hear, Ive had my laptop open before, took it apart, i know how its built and how it works inside and out.

If you're sure it's the mobo i can buy a replacemet for $300 and change it myself, but I wasnt sure if it was the mobo or cpu/vid card, or all three.

wouldnt it not post without a functioning cpu or graphic chip though?
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2009, 05:15 PM #8
If the processor or the graphics chip was not working it would post and beep out an error code. For example, 4 beeps would tell you you have a graphics card error.
Computer Specs
Member with 59 posts.

14-Apr-2009, 05:45 PM #9
thanks for the help mate, while its probably the mobo, it could be any combination of mobo + other stuff broken though right?
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2009, 12:25 AM #10
yup. or it could be the BIOS.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!