Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Bluescreen Issues on XP

(!)

Member with 31 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Apr-2009, 05:49 PM #1
Bluescreen Issues on XP
Hey, I got a motherboard from a friend today and it keeps blue-screening when it's about to go to the logon screen in XP. The motherboard is a Gigabyte ga-ma790fx-ds5 with an AMD Phenom X4 2.31ghz. I flashed the bios to the F7 version with no luck... He said it had this problem with him; that's the reason he got a new one and gave it to me. He said it worked before but started blue-screening on him.
I have 2 gigs of kingston hyper x 1066mhz ram in the first 2 slots on the motherboard, an nvidia geforce 7300gt pci-express graphics card in it for the meantime, a sata2 hard drive, and an IDE dvd drive. I have a 400w psu, which should be enough for the computer... The computer goes to safe mode fine and looks like it runs right... if anyone has any suggestions, thanks in advance.
--Ronnie
Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Yes
27-Apr-2009, 06:03 PM #2
From your description it sounds like a driver issue more than a 'motherboard' issue. Possibly (probably) a corrupt driver. Corrupt video card drivers (or bad video cards) are the most common I find.. If you can, post the actual error you see on the blue screen so someone can better diagnose. Good luck
Member with 31 posts.

27-Apr-2009, 06:14 PM #3
The error code is

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xBA1A8756, 0xBA4C342C, 0xBA4C3128)
Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Yes
27-Apr-2009, 06:28 PM #4
0x0000007E errors usually refer to hardware conflicts. Sometimes this procedure will work.. It's a bit time consuming but doesn't cost anything . Since you can boot into safe mode do that and then go to device manager and uninstall devices one at a time untill you find the culprit. I would start with the video card.. click the + beside display adapters and uninstall the one listed.. the re-start normally.. Windows will reinstall the driver. If that doesn't help then repeat with the sound card, modem, etc.. After doing this if you are still getting the BSOD then you may have to start physically pulling devices. Hopefully it's just a corrupt driver and a re-install solves the problem.. Good Luck!
Member with 31 posts.

27-Apr-2009, 06:49 PM #5
Thanks, I'll try that whenever a new Windows XP installs. I found an old IDE hard drive that works and I'm installing a new XP on it to see if it'll get to the desktop. If it does, the drivers on the old (SATA) drive are definitely the problem. I think it's a driver problem too. This should tell me what the real problem is
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
amd phenom x4, blue screen, gigabyte 790fx

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!