Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Large group of "dead"/"stuck" pixels

(!)

Member with 40 posts.

Experience: TechSavvy
08-May-2009, 10:01 PM #1
Solved: Large group of "dead"/"stuck" pixels
I've searched around the forums and all I can seem to find are people with one or two dead pixels (the absolute max I saw was 8). On the left side of my monitor, I have an extremely large amount of dead pixels. It's about the size of two quarters. It started out small (as a single pixel - then a single line - then a large blob). I've tried just about everything to get rid of it. I've tried massaging it out, using websites/software like www.jscreenfix.com, to no avail. I really don't have the money for a new monitor. Any ideas? Thanks!

Here is an image:[img=http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5543/img2729c.th.jpg]

Last edited by MurderCookEat; 08-May-2009 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Added an image.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,900 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-May-2009, 10:03 PM #2
Hook up a different monitor to make sure it's not the video card going, and if it's good on another monitor, try setting this monitor back to factory conditions. Basically reset the display totally. :\

Only thing i can suggest... =\
Member with 40 posts.

08-May-2009, 10:22 PM #3
Thank you for the swift response! Unfortunately, I don't have another monitor to which I can hook it up. It can't be the video card though because that was recently replaced (with a new piece of hardware). I have also tried resetting the display back to factory settings, which also didn't work.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,900 posts.

08-May-2009, 10:28 PM #4
Umm...just a shot in the dark here...try updating the drivers on the video card? By any chance another tower to hook the monitor up to then? Haha.
Member with 40 posts.

08-May-2009, 10:32 PM #5
Haha, I've done both of those as well. Video card's drivers are up-to-date and the monitor still displays the pixels when hooked up to a different computer. =[
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
08-May-2009, 10:33 PM #6
It has to be either the monitor or the card. You probably don't want to go out and buy either until you are sure which it is. Software is unlikely to be able to help at all in this situation.

EDIT: Then it's the monitor or the cable. Get new ones.

Last edited by Elvandil; 09-May-2009 at 12:56 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 9,900 posts.

08-May-2009, 11:31 PM #7
It's either the cable or the monitor actually if it's doing it while hooked up to a different computer.

So either replace the cable (possible fix) or replace the monitor entirely (guaranteed fix).

Please mark this thread as "Solved". =)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!