Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Activating all CPU cores

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 275 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-May-2009, 03:34 PM #1
Solved: Activating all CPU cores
I recently changed from a Socket 775 Intel Q6600 quad core processor to an AMD Phenom II 940 processor. I am using a Gigabyte GAS-MA790X-UD4P motherboard. In the past, when I booted, I ran a program called CoreTemp, which popped up in the right side tray, indicating the temps of each core. Also, when running CPUZ, it indicated that I was running with 4 cores. Now, when I boot to Windows Vista, I have only one temp on the tray. Also, when running CPUZ with the Intel Q6600, I was able to select from 0 to number 3 on the cores. Now when I run CPUZ, it shows 4 cores and 4 threads at the bottom. However, the selection box at the bottom is whited out, not permitting me to select from among the four cores. I might not have a problem, but things look so different that I wonder whether I am really using all 4 cores on the CPU. I ran msconfig, the boot menu, and selected 4 cores for Windows Vista. I did not see anything in the bios that enables multi-core processors, although most motherboards I have owned lately, required setting up a multi-core processor in the bios. Anyone have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? Thanks. Have gotten used to Intel systems over the past several years. Thanks again.

Last edited by jlabit; 11-May-2009 at 03:41 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 2,291 posts.

Experience: Wouldn't YOU like to know
11-May-2009, 03:46 PM #2
Copied from here:

http://www.projectsjugaad.com/comput...rocessors.html

How To Boot Vista With All Available Processors

It takes good advantage of multiple core processors when it's loaded, Vista will still use only a single processor core when the OS itself is loading. Fortunately you can override this and force Vista to take advantage of all available processors when starting up.

To force Vista to use all processors during the startup process:

Right click on the 'start' menu and type 'msconfig.' Hit Enter.

Go to the 'boot' tab and click 'advanced options.'

Place a check next to the 'number of processors:' option and change the dropdown box to reflect the number of discrete processor cores in your computer.

Hit 'ok' to save. You will need to restart to take advantage of this tip, obviously.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

11-May-2009, 06:21 PM #3
Its at least needed in XP, but did you install the CPU driver from AMD? www.amd.com Install all the drivers from gigabyte (other than the yahoo/google mess)

Had that problem with an an XP load with the same setup... gigabyte has recently screwed up with its drivers... they are ALL outdated. (They have 8.11 rather than 9.2 - you can get 9.3 from AMD).
Computer Specs
Member with 265 posts.

Experience: Advanced in some areas
11-May-2009, 11:44 PM #4
To make sure all cores are functioning in Windows, download a free CPU stress testing program (like Prime95 - a version for 4 cores), run it, and open Task Manager to see that all four cores are working. In XP, you just press CAD (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click on Performance. I forget what it is in Vista, but you do start out by pressing CAD. For each core or thread in the CPU, there should be a box with a graph showing how much is being used. A quad-core i7 has two threads per core, so it should have eight boxes.
Computer Specs
Member with 275 posts.

12-May-2009, 04:45 PM #5
Thanks guys
Tried the item with CAD and looks like all 4 cores are running. After some reading, looks like AMD processors have different sensors than their Intel counterparts. Coretemp states that it reads only the highest of the 4 core temps because of the way the sensor is built into the chip. I know with an Intel Q6600, you got an individual reading for each chip. Other than that, I love this new Phenom Processor. Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

12-May-2009, 09:29 PM #6
PC Wizard will also show the temps of each core.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!