Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to test PCIe slots?

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-May-2009, 05:06 AM #1
How to test PCIe slots?
How to test PCIe slots?

I had a brand new video card installed and working. Configured it and started using it to see what it was capable of as far as 3D applications. After about an hour, the card was destroyed. LEDs and fan still worked, but my PC could no longer detect the card in the slot. I tried to force it to detect, checked BIOS, tried the second PCIe slot on same board, but the vid card was already defective by then.

Fortunately, I was able to exchange the vid card for a new one. I also upgraded my PSU as someone suggested that the PSU might have been caused the damage to the vid card.

Now before I just throw in the new vid card and PSU, I want to cover all of my bases as I wont be able to get another free exchange if this vid card also gets fried. So Ive been doing some researching and Id feel a lot more comfortable if I could somehow test/verify whether the PCIe slots on my mainboard are functioning as they should be.

So can anyone recommend some simple PCIe slot test that I can perform at home with minimal tooling? Perhaps there are some software tools for monitoring voltages/currents, or maybe I can find a cheap voltmeter around here. Equipment is difficult for me to find here, but the local technicians are very lowly skilled/knowledgeable and careless about handling and ESD.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

17-May-2009, 09:32 PM #2
Hi Muncher,

RE: Testing PCIe slots

To my knowledge, there is no software only solution for testing PCIe slots. And, having some of the test equipment here, I would suggest this might be one time it would be cheaper in the long run (unless you want to get out of the "carpot" business, and into the computer consulting biz) to run it over to a local PC shop and have them run a test on system for you.

All my best,

Rick
Junior Member with 8 posts.

20-May-2009, 08:40 PM #3
ok thanks Rick
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!