Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop monitor problem.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Jun-2009, 06:01 AM #1
Laptop monitor problem.
Hi,

I am currently in Sweden and on the trip from the airport the bag carrying my laptop was dropped. Ever since the screen has not worked properly. When the screen is held in a certain position it works fine and normal, but I can't very well hold it in place forever. It works fine on an external monitor as well. When not working there are horizontal bars of the image that don't show up, sometimes the whole screen gets blurred. I've tried reconnecting several wires including the inverter ones. No changes. Wondering if anybody else had some insight to the problem. As I said I am visiting Sweden for a couple of months and don't have access to my normal resources. I don't even know if I can locate a local repair shop. Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,280 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jun-2009, 01:15 PM #2
If you are pretty sure that all of the ends of the interface cable(s) are firmly inserted into their mating sockets, the drop may have broken some of the interconnections between PC boards inside the LCD panel or between the PC boards and the panel's display glass. If that is the case, replacing the LCD panel may be your most cost effective repair choice.
Computer Specs

11-Jun-2009, 01:48 AM #3
Thanks, would the screen occasionally work at certain locations if that were the cause though? It seems like the lcd panel is working perfectly when I give the top of it a slight "twist". It seems to me like there is a definite connection issue, but I don't know where the issue is...
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,280 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jun-2009, 06:35 AM #4
Neither the LCD panel or laptop lid is going to be 100% rigid. Any twisting or bending of the laptop lid would be transferred to the LCD panel and any twisting or bending of the panel would be transferred to its internal electronic assemblies. Some of the interconnections between the internal boards and the glass are fragile. A shock from dropping the laptop could break the solid mechanical interconnections that would become intermittent with temperature and/or flexing of the panel.
Computer Specs

18-Jun-2009, 02:08 AM #5
Thanks for the help. I verified that it was a problem with the LCD panel by rechecking all of the connections and ordered a replacement panel. You saved me from wasting time on a new inverter as everyone else I've talked to had recommended.

Michael
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!