Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Files disappeared on external hard drive?

(!)

Member with 65 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Jun-2009, 08:36 PM #1
Files disappeared on external hard drive?
Ok, my little brother decided to unplug my external hard drive so he could put some of the programs on the family computer. Now that I got it back some of the files are missing, I had a folder listed tv shows and it disappeared and only two of my six tv shows are on it. I also have a lot of missing files like my Windows 7 trial cd image thing. Is there anything I can do to try to get the files back or are they gone forever?
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,811 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Jun-2009, 11:40 PM #2
I'm assuming the external drive is connected via USB. If that is the case and the drive was simply unplugged , any files loaded since the drive was turned on would probably not be saved. That is the reason one uses the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature for USB mass storage media before powering off the device. So it all depends on when the missing files were loaded to the external drive.

Raybro
Member with 65 posts.

14-Jun-2009, 12:46 AM #3
Yeah it a USB it was unplugged without doing the safely remove hardware. The problem is, a lot of the files that disappeared have been on that external hard drive for over a year, i had backups from when i had to wipe my little brother's computer and haven't touched those for over 9 months but those all disappeared. I had several different tv shows under a "TV Shows" folder. Out of those there were only two on my external and they were just in the root directory.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Einstein
14-Jun-2009, 12:51 AM #4
That's not true raybo I move my external USB drives without first using the safely remove hardware feature and I've never lost a file yet. It was true back in the Wind98/Win2K days. In windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 you do not need to eject or safely remove mass storage devices just don't unplugg them when they are being written too. What likely happened is your kid brother deleted the stuff. You can give a program like Restoration to attempt to recover the files.
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,811 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2009, 11:06 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson_jl View Post
That's not true raybo I move my external USB drives without first using the safely remove hardware feature and I've never lost a file yet. It was true back in the Wind98/Win2K days. In windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 you do not need to eject or safely remove mass storage devices just don't unplugg them when they are being written too. What likely happened is your kid brother deleted the stuff. You can give a program like Restoration to attempt to recover the files.
If that is your experience, then I that is what you will probably go by. However, I run XP Home and that very thing has happened to me, so I suppose we all go by our personal experience. That's why I always use the Safely Remove Hardware process before I power down a flash drive or my external HDD before unplugging or powering down.

The point, however, has become moot in that sh1ftelliott last post indicates there are files missing that had been on the drive for a long time. So the basic cause must be something else anyway. I agree file deletion is the most likely.

Raybro
Member with 65 posts.

14-Jun-2009, 02:49 PM #6
Ok thanks for the answers, I don't think my little brother deleted them, he got my hard drive because he wanted to get a cd image that i had on it. It just seems that a bunch of random files disappeared. Do i have to worry about my external hard drive dying? I've had it for a little less then two years.

Ok, so I'm trying to use the recovery program that lawson_jl recommended. I'm not quite sure on how to make it work, it shows folders that were deleted but when i select the copy option all of the content inside is empty. The folders that I had the tv shows organized by seasons were there but the actual files were not there. Is there an easier program to use or am i doing something wrong?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!