Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer Beeps???

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

21-Jun-2009, 09:01 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Computer Beeps???
Hi all,

My computer is making random beeping sounds. Sounds like a DOS beep and is coming from the computer itself as my speakers arent working or even connected. When the beeping occurs its just one short beep and then my mouse stops working. Does anyone know what this is? Its getting worse and happening more often. Please help!

Thanks,

Skyebie
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,351 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jun-2009, 09:36 PM #2
Does the beep occur after you have been using the computer for a while or right at power up?

Can you let us know the brand and mondel number of the computer and/or motherboard?

21-Jun-2009, 09:40 PM #3
Its after ive been using it for a while, nothing at power up.

This might sound silly but i have no idea where to even find that information, basically this was a computer that my ex boyfriend setup for me. I have no idea what type it is.. If you can tell me where to find the information though im happy to get it that way Not that tech savy with the hardware side of computers but i can learn lol
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,351 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jun-2009, 10:21 PM #4
Are there and manufacturer's stickers anywhere on the computer? Is there any kind of multicolored Microsoft sticker identifying what version of Windows you have installed?

You can also download and run Belarc Advisor to get your system information. You can copy and paste the Belarc results for Operating System, System Model and Main Board into your post here.

Does your mouse have a USB (rectangular plug) or PS/2 (small round plug) connection to the computer?
Mr. Newton has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 12,921 posts.

Experience: always learning
21-Jun-2009, 10:47 PM #5
Well I'll try to give you what I think may be causing the beeps. It may be your mouse is dying,a loose wire,or a short in a mouse wire,usually right where the wires go into the mouse .It has happened to me on two occasions,the exact same scenario,the beeps,the mouse stopping and starting,turns out it was the broken/loose wire.As soon as I replaced the mouse the problem was solved.Twice.Bad mice,bad

21-Jun-2009, 11:44 PM #6
No stickers, but im pretty sure its Windows XP.

Am trying to D/L Belarc Advisor right now

My mouse had a round plug on it and the usb port was plugged into that but i pulled that our last night and just plugged the regular usb port into one of my usb ports on the front of the computer, thinking that may work.. It didnt, still doing the same thing.

22-Jun-2009, 12:04 AM #7
Yay, thanks for the advice Terry im hoping thats all it is.. Gonna head out and buy a new mouse, fingers crossed that solves my issue! Will keep you posted, thanks

22-Jun-2009, 03:55 AM #8
I went and brought a new mouse today and all is well, beeping seems to have stopped too! Im a very happy camper
Mr. Newton has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 12,921 posts.

Experience: always learning
22-Jun-2009, 05:51 AM #9
Glad to have helped.You might want to buy a back-up mouse in case the problem reoccurs.I still have to get a spare one myself.I'm good at procrastination.Keep saying to get an extra,never seem to do it.I put some electricians black tape around the spot where the wires go into the mouse just to give the wires some extra support at that spot.That problem is something I can diagnose quickly on my comp.Had to fix it twice now and didn't know what is was at first,till I replaced mouse.Simple,easy,and cheap.
I use my mouse a lot.
PS,The beeping is the warning sign that there is a problem somewhere.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!