Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

External Harddrive problem.. help

(!)

lightingbird lightingbird is offline lightingbird has a Profile Picture
Member with 224 posts.

04-Jul-2009, 01:36 AM #1
External Harddrive problem.. help
I'm having a problem with a Western Digital external harddrive model #wd25001032. It uses its own power supply and is connected by USB.

I've had it for a few years and never had a problem with it. I haven't used it in a long time and I tried to hook it up to a vista prem vista pack 1 machine. The following things occur:

1. At first the computer doesnt detect it. The harddrive light comes on but no action on the computer.

2. I'll try and go into my computer and see if it shows the icon. It has a good hunk of data on it. The icon does not come up no matter what I do. Then out of nowhere my "my computer" folder will stop responding.

3. I've tried to increase and decrease the priority and nothing. Although as soon as I unplug the usb from the computer. The windows starts responding instantly.

4. I've did some basic computer checking like disabling the firewall, repairing the registry, and trying different usb ports out of desperation. I went into computer management and then storage but when the device is plugged up It goes to not responding.

Before I give up and take the data as a loss. Can anyone think of a way to resolve this?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,664 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2009, 05:55 AM #2
The 1st thing you need to do is determine if the problem is in the hard drive, or in the adapter in the enclosure.

The only way to do this (I am aware of) is to remove the hard drive from the enclosure, and connect the drive internally to a desktop computer.

I find in my business with most externals that come in with problems, the problem is in the adapter in the enclosure rather than the drive itself.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

Experience: Gadget Guru
04-Jul-2009, 11:15 AM #3
I would also try plugging it into a different computer first before popping it open - that way, you could confirm that it wasn't that first computer.

A-N
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!