Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 USB questions

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 61 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Jul-2009, 04:19 PM #1
Angry Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 USB questions
Ive had this joystick for ages and i love it to death. Its probly the best joystick ive ever owned. Anyway heres my problem

there is a significant amount of complaints and problems with this joystick not being supported by XP or something like that.

Heres the thing. I HAVE had it working on XP Pro before. It stopped working because i got a virus that was deleting my drivers. i completly wiped my HDs with killdisk, tried ubuntu, didnt like it, wiped em again, installed XP Home because thats what i had at the house. Now im trying to get this joystick working again. last time i just plugged it in, no software and it worked. now its not and its pissing me off. there supposedly isnt any drivers you can get to fix this problem. any suggestions?

i made it seem hopeless huh.. lol
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jul-2009, 10:48 PM #2
I have that joystick... there is STILL nothing better on the market today that is built as well. Whats left is Logitechs which seem to die in 6~9 months or Saitek which have awful ergonomics.

I don't like Microsoft... but the Sidewinders were tough and worked great.

I got mine out of the closet a few months ago to play HAWX... It would work randomly but for the most part, XP doesn't know what to do with it. Funny... considering they are both MICROSOFT! It seems to d

You MUST to get the Sidewinder2 Driver! It's an 8.33 MB ZIP files.

You cannot get it from MS (Geee. thanks for the support) as they say its built into WindowsXP... which as you know, doesn't work.

If you search with Google, you should be able to find it.
Computer Specs
Member with 61 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jul-2009, 09:52 PM #3
ok. thanks. i was told there wasnt any drivers you can get for it. the really funny thing is, I HAD IT WORKING! not more than a month ago!. now its not.. ..
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

08-Jul-2009, 05:05 AM #4
The joystick CAME with Drivers. MS *USED* to have drivers on their site for downloading. When I got mine out of storage, it kind of worked once - then stopped. Stuck it in another computer.. it worked a few times (control panel). Part of the issue is the static charge problems... remember, when this joystick came out - USB for PC was very new.

I located and installed the drivers, the SW joystick ALWAYS works.

Use google. Its SO @(*#$ stupid that MS doesn't have the drivers on THEIR own site for this joystick... when they have it for Win 95/98. "Just use the included drivers in XP" they say.. blah.

Its truly piss-poor of MS to NOT have any info on their PAST products.

You need: Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Controller 4.0 software

This site has it... it sucks, but they have it: http://members.driverguide.com/drive...riverid=128223

And for Windows7/Vista... even worse. Since Windows7 is looking good and there isn't a joystick on the market that I think is a suitable replacement.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

24-Jul-2009, 08:44 AM #5
Any luck on your joystick?

BTW, I have confirmed that my Sidewinder is working 100% properly with Windows 7! No drivers to be installed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dell, donkey kong, microsoft, precision 2

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!