Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Everything under Network Adapters has a yellow exclamation mark.

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jul-2009, 03:56 PM #1
Exclamation Everything under Network Adapters has a yellow exclamation mark.
I have searched multiple forums and found variations of this problem, none of them being the same as my situation. In device manager, everything under "Network Adapters" has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers with the files I downloaded from the manufacturers website on another computer. I even bought a new Linksys Ethernet adapter (LNE100TX) and tried installing that, with no luck. When I try installing I get the code 39 error or "The Wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed." I was able to connect just fine two days ago. Yesterday I did a lot of scans with spyware removal programs and such, which may have affected this problem. I would restore or recover, which seemed to help some people out, but I have a registry error that cannot load the hive. Any suggestions, with the network adapters or being able to restore or recover?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,252 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Jul-2009, 05:05 PM #2
Just go to microsofts update site, and it should automanically download all the right network drivers....

08-Jul-2009, 06:10 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peck1234 View Post
Just go to microsofts update site, and it should automanically download all the right network drivers....
How would it automatically download when I can't connect to the internet on that computer? I also don't think it's a Microsoft problem, seeing that none of the things listed under "Network Adapters" is Microsoft related.
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

08-Jul-2009, 06:23 PM #4
hi have you tried going to device manager clicking on the little+ to expand the view then right click on the ie gigabit ehternet go to properties then update driver and choose the option to point windows to the file you dowloaded
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

08-Jul-2009, 06:26 PM #5
What is the error associated with the yellow exclamation point ?
Drill into the network adapter entries and write down what driver(s) that they thing they are using and their file location.
And I think you are correct in saying that ethernet adapter is probably not the issue.
Two paths come to mind.
On a network capable pc,go to the pc makers web site and re-download the drivers you feel are the correct drivers.Save them to some portable medium and import them onto the problem pc.Compare them to the ones that the adapters are trying to use.

An alternative,might be,go into safe mode,delete the adapters,re-boot and see if they will plug and play themselves into action.
Also,here is a link to some code 39 error resolution tips.
http://www.instant-registry-fixes.or...r-codes-39-44/
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

08-Jul-2009, 07:08 PM #6
Can you tell us exactly what scans you used?

09-Jul-2009, 03:11 AM #7
@Joeten/pedroguy, I have tried updating the driver through files on the Linksys disk and through files that I have downloaded on another computer. Uninstalling and reinstalling these files still result in a yellow exclamation mark next to all that's listed under "Network Adapters"

@Rich-M, I full scanned with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware CounterSpy, SUPERAntiSpyware and Ad-Aware.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

09-Jul-2009, 09:04 AM #8
And the adapter error code in device manager is error code 39 ?
And you did an uninstall of the adapters?
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2009, 09:22 AM #9
Have you used any reg cleaners by any chance or ccleaner? This is a registry error code for device cannot install driver...see error code #39:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

10-Jul-2009, 12:55 AM #10
@pedroguy, Yes, that's the error code. I did uninstall the adapters and reinstall, through the disk and through downloaded files from the manufacturers website.

@Rich-M, I used CCleaner and Reg Mechanic, as well as registry cleaners within Tune-Up Utilities and Advanced System Optimizer and Ace Utilities.
Computer Specs

10-Jul-2009, 09:41 AM #11
That's what I was afraid of. The damage from those reg cleaners is really not repairable. We always warn against those things yet few read any but their own posts so until you see the damage done, what we use to warn are just words.
Time to reformat and reinstall Windows. Make sure to copy off whatever is important first.

Last edited by Rich-M; 10-Jul-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

10-Jul-2009, 10:26 AM #12
Hi mentality, If the network adapter driver files are 100% compatible to the adapter & even if the drivers smoothly installed, u would find that yellow exclamation marks in device manager, probably problem relates to the Windows OS. So, after backing up all necessary data do a REPAIR on the OS by win bootable cd. When u do the repair, select the option u need the current file system intact (or similar meaning). After that install all drivers. If u find the problem again, probably your drivers may not 100% compatible. Or u can try with new installation of WIN as sometimes REPAIR does not eradicate all the OS problems.

10-Jul-2009, 10:41 AM #13
@Rich-M, Yeah, I figured that was it, it's just weird because I've always done the same routine, and there's never been any problems. As far as reformatting and installing windows, I can't even do that because I have an error every time I try to restore or recover, It can't load the hive files.
I also lost my cds that I made when I first purchased the computer. Do you know if I could download these from somewhere, or if you have a place I can order them from?
Computer Specs

10-Jul-2009, 11:02 AM #14
Please don't even think about what Grasshopper Green suggests as XP repair really lately is doing more damage than good, and TG you couldn't anyway without an XP cd.
You have not told us your hardware so my answers to this are guesses. If you can tell us the brand name and model of pc or whether or not it is a shop build can answer you better.
If brand name you can buy restore disks for $20 from most except Gateway who wants $100. Or if you have a Windows product code on tower you can buy an oem XP cd for $100 but you won't have any programs or drivers. Best bet is restore cd's from mfgr and copy and paste out your files and data. Give Reg cleaners to worst enemy as a "peace offering" and proceed....

10-Jul-2009, 11:08 AM #15
@Rich-M, This computer is an HP Pavilion a434n. Which way would be the best to go?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!