Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Frequent USB Port Connect/Disconnect Sounds

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced in some areas
20-Jul-2009, 10:44 AM #1
Solved: Frequent USB Port Connect/Disconnect Sounds
On my Dell Latitude D531 laptop, running XP SP3 (2GB RAM), I have 4 USB ports - one of which I use for a mouse.

I hear the USB connection/disconnection sound frequently when I move the laptop from a stationary position to my lap, and, on occasion, simply when the mouse cord is moved.

I've tried another USB port, and the same thing happens, but seemingly not as often.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.
Computer Specs
Member with 58,697 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jul-2009, 11:05 AM #2
Welcome to TSG!

My first thought was a loose connection on the USB port, internally (an intermittent solder joint). But, when you indicated that it happens on another USB port, that shoots a big hole in that theory. Maybe a problem with the mouse cord. Have you another USB mouse you can beg, borrow or steal, to try for an extended computing session?
Computer Specs

20-Jul-2009, 11:27 AM #3
Thank you, Gr3iz,

Unfortunately, I don't have another USB mouse to test.

I neglected to mention in my initial post that each of the four ports seem loose - that is, when plugging a USB device into each port, there seems to be a lot of give when jiggling the connection up and down. But, I'm not sure if that is the way they are supposed to be, or if that has any bearing on the problem.

While it may seem silly, I sit cross-legged when I have the notebook in my lap (I do have a little American Indian in me ;-), so, instead of the notebook laying flat across my legs, there is upward pressure on the sides of the computer, and downward pressure in the middle as I type. I have wondered if this kind of prolonged pressure variance could cause problems like that with the USB connections.

Last edited by TeaRowz; 20-Jul-2009 at 11:42 AM..
Computer Specs

20-Jul-2009, 11:45 AM #4
Your posture should not cause any problems with the laptop unless a device plugged into the USB port (or anything else on either end) is supporting the laptop on that end. In other words, if, when cradled in your legs, the bottom of the laptop is not firmly on your legs, something plugged in is hitting your leg. I usually use a 1/2-3/4" board, about 15-18" long and about 8-10" deep on my lap. This provides stable support for the laptop, breathing room for the laptop, and, most importantly to me, heat insulation for my legs! Those suckers can get hot on the bottom! ;-)

Have you noticed the connect/disconnect sounds with any other devices, if you jiggle them while connected?
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2009, 10:54 AM #5
I am careful not to put any pressure on the USB connection to the mouse on the side of the computer.

I think I've narrowed down the problem down to the mouse's connector. I plugged a USB printer into each of the four ports, and there wasn't nearly the 'play', nor did the connection/disconnection alarm sound when I jiggled the connections.

So, I'm no longer as concerned as I was. Thanks again, Gr3iz, for giving me the idea to try another USB device!
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2009, 11:12 AM #6
Great! Glad to help! If you are satisfied with the outcome, you can mark the thread "Solved".
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connection, mouse, usb

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!