Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot properly install HP 4100n printer with Vista

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

25-Jul-2009, 10:47 PM #1
Cannot properly install HP 4100n printer with Vista
I have a HP4100n printer and had it connected to my Dell pc with Vista. It would sporadically not print documents, so I deleted the printer and tried to re-install it. But when I plug the usb cable in (it is a parrellel to usb cable), I just hear a bong. So it does not install. What is the proper way and steps for getting rid of anything related the printer on my pc and then reinstall it>
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jul-2009, 01:59 PM #2
Welcome to TSG:
Think I would go into safe mode and do your uninstall.
Does the printer software come with an uninstall.exe? If so,I would use that
I am assuming that the 4100 is Vista compatible ?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,706 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jul-2009, 02:10 PM #3
You shoudl be able to uninstall it from Programs & Features in the Control Panel, or delete it from Printers also in the Control Panel if not listed in Programs & Features.

Here's the latest HP driver for that printer: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...em=ja-45284-10

Be sure that you do not use the driver that comes on the CD as its not Vista compatible and don't plug it in until you run the driver.

26-Jul-2009, 05:06 PM #4
Thanks for the hints, but I am really a novice at this. I do not have any printer software/cd's since I just inherited the printer many years ago. Just some comments as to the above...

1) I cannot do any uninstalls anymore because the printer is deleted, but I do not think fully deleted. So I cannot do an uninstall in Printerrs or from Programs and features.
2) If I download the driver from HP's site, what are the exact steps after download? How do I "run the driver" as directed above? And when do I plug the cable in?

Thanks!
Computer Specs

26-Jul-2009, 05:21 PM #5
Once you download the driver, download click on it to run it; then follow any steps it shows on screen. Plug in the cable either when it prompts you too or after the installation of the downloaded driver completes and exits. You almost never plug in an external device before running the driver setup first. You should also plug in the printer into a different USB port then you have been currently using in an attempt to make the computer think its a brand new device.

26-Jul-2009, 10:42 PM #6
Well I downloaded the driver and it created a folder C:\HP UPD 5.0 PCL 6 Driver with a lot of files in it. There was an install.exe file, so I double-clicked it and just get the normal Add Printer wizard. And the Local printer option in this wizard indicates that it is not for USB printers. So should I use the Local Printer option anyway?
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2009, 07:41 PM #7
Nope, you can just plug in the printer and see if it asks for the location of the driver you can point it to that newly created HP directory. The issue here is that its in fact a parallel printer using a parallel to USB cable.

27-Jul-2009, 09:14 PM #8
When I plug the printer in (with the printer On), nothing happens....like it doesn't even know there is anything there. There are four usb ports on the back, and I know they generally work because two of the ports are used by other devices including one inkjet printer. I have heard that there can be issues with using parallel to usb cables, but it was working for some time before I had this problem. Do you think it would help to uninstall all the devices under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager and then reboot? But I wouldn't be able to use my mouse or keyboard. Thanks for your patience and suggestions.
Computer Specs

28-Jul-2009, 09:17 AM #9
In Device Manager do you have any Unknown Devices or devices with a yellow exclamation mark, also look under the USB section for an unknown device.

31-Jul-2009, 10:25 PM #10
Sorry...I was away from my home computer for a few days. I do not see any unknown devices in Device Manager or any with a yellow exclamation point. And the USB Controller section seems fine -- I see six Intel USB Universal Host Controller, two Interl USB2 Enhanced Host Controllers, two USB Composite Device, one USB Mass Storage Device, two USB Printing Support, and eight USB Root Hub. Just don't know what to do next.
Computer Specs

01-Aug-2009, 02:17 PM #11
Not sure either, its hard to say if the issue is with the USB to Parallel Adapter, the older printer, or Vista.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
4100n, install, printer, usb, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!