Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to clone hard disk to new PC

(!)

raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,807 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Jul-2009, 03:00 PM #16
You can still get a copy of Quickbooks 2006... I Googeled Quickbooks 2006 and got a lot of hits. Click here for what Amazon has available. Used ones go for as low as $50.

Raybro
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

29-Jul-2009, 03:53 PM #17
Quickbooks 2009 is pretty nice... 2010 version coming out soon.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2009, 04:11 AM #18
HP to HP cloning
I have two HPs, I think they are Inspirons and they only seem to have one HD bay (compact desktop case) so I can't install two disks on the one PC. They are secondhand from my son's school and don't have any programs on them. Neither has QuickBooks on them.

The Dell is my old office PC and is the one with all the programs e.g. Office and QuickBooks and updates, etc that I want to move seamlessly onto the HP (LOL!).

I'll have to have a dig around the HP to see if there are any spare connectors that I can use to install the dud disk. Then I supose I have to work out the jumper settings so I can make the dud disk a slave and do a clone.

The issue then seems to be that I will have two XPs with the same licence key and therefore I assume it will not register with Mr Gates....Happy Days!
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

30-Jul-2009, 04:14 AM #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compiler View Post
Quickbooks 2009 is pretty nice... 2010 version coming out soon.
2010?? HA HA!! I live in the UK and I think we are still on 2008, which is rubbish because no multicurrency. Also, most of my clients are still on 2006, so I need a 2006 version so I can amend their data files without them having to upgrade if they try and use my amended data files.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

30-Jul-2009, 10:57 AM #20
HPs are not Inspirons. While you cannot put two HDs into a single case, you can plug the 2nd HD into the same place where the CD/DVD drive is... use the came that came with the HD - not the DVD drive. Do that for transfer of data. If you plug the HD where the DVD drive is, you shouldnt need to change any drivers.

Since both HPs don't have your software, it is rather useless to clone one HP to another.

You're going to have to find your Software discs.

About Quickbooks: Understood. That is silly that it isn't multi-currency considering where you are. And yeah, Intuit kind of "screws" its customers that way. Once 1-2 people go to a newer version, the older ones becomes a problem. But also, people just tend to stick to an older version that much longer... like version 2004 is still in heavy use.

You have no choice, find your discs or buy them used.
Copy your data over (thats in My Documents or wherever. by using:
1 - drive to drive (above)
2 - Burn your data to DVD-Rs
3 - Buy an external case and put your drive in it
4 - Use networking and file sharing. If all PCs are on a network - that maybe easiest thing to do.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

01-Aug-2009, 01:12 PM #21
OK, I bought a SATA connector and now have the HP2 hard disk on my HP1 PC. I can see the HP2 disk (D drive) in My Computer and I have formated it so it is blank, apart from a folder that I copied from C to D to make sure it was working.

I have installed Acronis on 30 day trial, tried to clone disk, but it says only 1 disk installed, even though there are two hard disks!

The same thing with XXXclone, it only had one option (C) in both the clone from and clone to drop downs.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,324 posts.

01-Aug-2009, 01:37 PM #22
never tried cloning a disc to an external. But if you can even temporarily connect the HDD to the internal controller, I have done this and carefully layed it in the bottom of the case on a sheet of thin card board for insulation and cloned them that way. IS either one ot the drives in question a Seagate or a Maxtor drive? If so you can use MaxBlast 5 to do the cloning, it is free and works well. But as before it requires at least one of the disks in the equation to be a Seagate or a Maxtor. It can be downloaded from the Seagate Website.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

01-Aug-2009, 01:39 PM #23
BTW, the bizarre thing is that if I look at Acronis System State it shows the hard disk size as being 298GB. Each hard disk is 150GB, so it seems to know there are two disks, but isn't willing to play ball when i try and clone or install a new disk - clone says only one disk, no can do, install only sees one disk and will not go any further.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

01-Aug-2009, 01:43 PM #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyjay View Post
never tried cloning a disc to an external. But if you can even temporarily connect the HDD to the internal controller, I have done this and carefully layed it in the bottom of the case on a sheet of thin card board for insulation and cloned them that way. IS either one ot the drives in question a Seagate or a Maxtor drive? If so you can use MaxBlast 5 to do the cloning, it is free and works well. But as before it requires at least one of the disks in the equation to be a Seagate or a Maxtor. It can be downloaded from the Seagate Website.
Both are exactly the same - Seagates - but presumably if MaxBlast 5 works in the same way as Acronis/xxxClone it will not recognise D (second hard disk) either.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

01-Aug-2009, 01:52 PM #25
Unhappy Cannot clone to second hard disk
Hi, just dowloaded Maxblaster 5 and guess what, it's Acronis by another name and won't run because a newer version of Acronis (my 30 day trial) is already on there!

Acronis still doesn't allow a clone to the second disk

Last edited by Bryan1958; 01-Aug-2009 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: addition
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

02-Aug-2009, 05:48 AM #26
No boot filename received: insert system disk
I have managed to put the hard disk from my 'broken' HP into the working HP as D drive. I found clone software that did recognise the D drive, did a clone image of the C drive and restored it to the D drive.

I have now put the D drive hard disk back into the 'broken' HP. It tries to boot from CD. Comes up with message, part of which says 'PXE-E53: No boot filename received, PXE-M0F: Exiting HP PXE ROM Disk boot failure: insert system disk and press enter'

I wish I'd never heard of cloning (which caused the problem in the firs place because I thought I could clone my old Dell to the HP). I don't have XP disks for the HP, are there any files I can copy from the good HP which would help?

BTW I went into CMOS and changed the boot sequence to Hard Disk first - no difference,
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

02-Aug-2009, 12:13 PM #27
MaxBlast doesn't always work and takes forever...

Acronis is 30 days trial.

Reflect is FREE and works Great, I've been using it for a while now: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Its only trick is that it makes an image file... so heres the question, how much data do you have? Both drives are 150GB each. So if your data is like 20~30GB, this is a non-issue.

Use Reflect to make an IMAGE file on to the 2nd HD (blank). When its done, copy the image file to your 1st HD. Then tell Reflect to UNPACK the image file (on the 1st HD) onto the 2nd HD (which will erase it, etc). Power down, put the 2nd HD back into the HP that works.

?? Why buy a SATA connector? if you pulled the drive out of the 2nd HP and its a SATA drive, it has a SATA cable already attached.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!