Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PC won't start, no POST, no fans, nothing :(

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2009, 10:50 AM #1
Exclamation PC won't start, no POST, no fans, nothing :(
Hi,

I have recently been upgrading my PC, and installed a new Thermaltake 420w PSU, new WD Caviar Green 1TB HDD, and new Scythe Katana II CPU cooler.

Everything was running fine and dandy once these were all installed, good stable temps, super quiet system, and while I was at it I dusted everything off with a compressed air duster.

I tested the system at this stage and it was all perfect. All the work was carried out with an anti-static wristband.

To finish the job with a final bit of housekeeping I decided to tidy the cables away and make sure the airflow was tip-top. So I got the cable ties out and started moving everything about, and while doing this I unplugged the cables for the power button, power LED, HDD activity LED, and reset button. They are all seperate 2 socket cables apart from the power LED which had seperate + and - compnents.

When I replaced these and tried to switch the PC back on with everything plugged in and ready to go nothing happened. I then removed the power cable from the PSU, waited 30 seconds, replaced it and tried again. The power LED light flashed on when I plugged the cable in and then flashed the first time I pressed the button, but again the PC failed to power up. Pressing the button again failed to do anything.

Whenever there is a power supply to the computer the motherboard power LED is on suggesting the PSU is fine, and it's new so it should be.

I have tried another power button from the front panel of a different computer which I know works but the same happened.

My motherboard is an ASUS P5VD2-MX SE, with a Pentium D 935 processor, and 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM.

Sorry about the long post but I hope it's as descriptive as possible as I have no clue what's going on! Thanks in advance for any help!
Member with 2,798 posts.

12-Aug-2009, 11:08 AM #2
no boot
If you can try a out of the case test> 1 stick of ram > heatsink and fan hooked up> video hooked up to monitor> keyboard.You will have to short the 2 power switch pins to start up
Computer Specs

12-Aug-2009, 11:14 AM #3
ok will do, i have tried shorting across the 2 power switch pins but not out of the case but to no avail.
Computer Specs

12-Aug-2009, 11:16 AM #4
is this to test if the motherboard is shorting on the case btw? what if this doesn't work?
Member with 274 posts.

12-Aug-2009, 11:17 AM #5
If you have your old psu handy you could try using it to see if everything works okay - if it does then you know there is a fault with the new psu.

When you say that you have tried a different power button - do you mean that you have tried your new psu in a different computer and got the same result as your new/upgraded one??
Member with 2,798 posts.

12-Aug-2009, 11:32 AM #6
power
Do you have both the >20 pin and 4 pin atx power conection connected?if the 12 volt connector isnt connected the system will not start.Yes like in other post >try a different power supply
Computer Specs

12-Aug-2009, 11:42 AM #7
my old psu is faulty. i'm 100% sure my new psu is fine because I used it for several days without a hitch and it is getting power to the motherboard, i can tell because the indicator light is on.

i've checked and reseated all the cables as well.

when i said i have tried a different button, i literally mean i've disconnected the front panel from a working machine and connected the physical power button cable to the motherboard, pressed it, and nothing happened. that was to prove that the front panel is not the problem. i have also tried shorting the pins to further prove this.

the power supply definitly works.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,050 posts.

12-Aug-2009, 11:44 AM #8
Go back are recheck/reseat the atx and aux atx pw connectors.

Since you pulled the front panel connectors from the mb, are you sure you have them connected correctly? Did you use the mb manual diagram to connect the leads?

BTW seeing a LED lit on the mb means next to nothing. You can still have a failed pw supply and have that LED illuminated.
Computer Specs

12-Aug-2009, 12:00 PM #9
the front panel connectors are the one thing i'm not sure about, there's a fairly unclear diagram on the mobo that i have been using, and I don't have the manual. I can't find one online either, the only things I could find on the ASUS website related to that board was a load of driver downloads.

what would be the consequences of getting the power switch/lights/reset switch/hdd led etc mixed up?
Member with 274 posts.

12-Aug-2009, 12:05 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunstanL View Post
The power LED light flashed on when I plugged the cable in and then flashed the first time I pressed the button, but again the PC failed to power up. Pressing the button again failed to do anything.
Sorry ignore this post

Last edited by Ditchster; 12-Aug-2009 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: being a muppet
Computer Specs

12-Aug-2009, 01:24 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunstanL View Post
the front panel connectors are the one thing i'm not sure about, there's a fairly unclear diagram on the mobo that i have been using, and I don't have the manual. I can't find one online either, the only things I could find on the ASUS website related to that board was a load of driver downloads.

what would be the consequences of getting the power switch/lights/reset switch/hdd led etc mixed up?
Generally nothing; whatever lead just does not work. The pw switch and reset leads do not matter +/- they will work which ever direction you connect them. The pw led, hd led, etc do matter. They will not work if you do not connect +/- correctly. I will check the asus site and see if they have a manual for your board.
Computer Specs

12-Aug-2009, 01:33 PM #12
The asus site has an online manual for your board. The print out is on page 1-30 of the online manual. Go to the download page and input whatever os you have. One of the options is manual. Open that one and choose whatever language you want.
Computer Specs

13-Aug-2009, 05:22 AM #13
thanks very much, found it now. i'll try starting it with minimum components outside the case and let you know how it goes.

might just be an excuse for a new mobo tbh :P
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2009, 05:23 AM #14
right, so i've now had my computer set up outside of the case, and initially there was no change.

i then tried the old power supply, which proceeded to start smoking from the sata power connector as soon as i started the computer, but the pc started to boot up and post. as soon as i saw the smoke i pulled the power cable out and seperated the psu and hdd from the rest of the system as soon as possible. they were both fried, but luckily the rest of the system was fine, and i had all my important data backed up on a drive that wasn't connected.

i then connected my new psu up and powered up with no drives connected to the mobo and the computer went through post etc fine.

with no system disk i booted xubuntu from a live cd and that seemed to work fine, so then i connected the backup drive, and backed that up onto an external drive. i now want to install my old copy of vista onto that backup drive.

am i right in thinking it's possible to install vista onto a disk with no os and data on it without losing the data? (although it's backed up anyway)

i also made a macrium reflect disk image when the system was working fine, which is saved on the data disk, but i can't find a way to restore it as the only os i can seem to load is xubuntu booted from the cd? anyone know how to restore from those images?
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2009, 08:43 AM #15
You restore macrium from the macrium boot disk which the app tells you to make. You might have to install macrium on another system and make the boot disk. Once done, boot your system and do the restore.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
button, led, mobo, post, power

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!