Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Inspiron 2200 not charging.

(!)

technik733 technik733 is offline technik733 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 203 posts.

Experience: Crazy Slackware User
07-Sep-2009, 12:03 PM #1
Inspiron 2200 not charging.
I have an Inspiron 2200 laptop that I've rebuild from a heap of parts, and it has suddenly stopped charging. It will run fine off of the adapter, and my battery is currently 97% charged, but when I plug it in, it says it's at 100% and doesn't charge it. Is there something I might be able do do to fix this? Is there a way to reset the power circuitry?

I'm not afraid of opening it up and checking the plug or the battery connections, but I'd rather not, and it *will* run from t he battery alone, and *will* run from the ac adapter alone. It just won't charge, which seems odd.
Computer Specs
Member with 203 posts.

07-Sep-2009, 02:54 PM #2
Bump
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Sep-2009, 03:45 PM #3
Page 27 and 64

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...om/D88330a.pdf

Many of the Inspiron series laptops from Dell suffer from bad/damaged DC jacks that are soldered to the motherboard, they can be replaced if you have the soldering skills.
Computer Specs
Member with 203 posts.

07-Sep-2009, 05:38 PM #4
I actually had to replace it already; it was missing and the heat sink bracket was broken when I got the motherboard. I have considered that it might be the jack (or rather my soldering job, in this case), but it doesn't seem likely to me in light of the fact that it runs off of AC just fine.

I feel that it's worth noting that it was charging off of the same outlet my mom's laptop was when hers refused to charge OR run off of AC for no apparent reason. It seems like more than a coincidence to me given that they both happened the same day.
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,774 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Sep-2009, 05:54 PM #5
Not much of a believer in coincidence myself. The obvious questions are, does your Mom's laptop charge and run OK now and have you tried another AC outlet? Does your battery run down when you use it and then recharge to the 97% level?

Of course, it's always possible the battery is simply old and will not take a full charge. If you wish to consider a new battery, I recommend Laptop Battery Depot. Best price I found on the internet and they pay shipping. Good info on how to care for your battery on the site.

Raybro
Computer Specs
Member with 203 posts.

07-Sep-2009, 07:04 PM #6
No, hers does not function anymore, and we have tried different outlets with both. I'm wary of running my battery down, but it used to charge up to 100% just fine, and lasts for about 4 hours. It's a new battery, so it's not just worn out. I had to replace several key parts since it had been almost gutted when I got it. It suddenly stopped charging.
Computer Specs
Member with 203 posts.

08-Sep-2009, 03:49 AM #7
Any other ideas?
Computer Specs
Member with 203 posts.

08-Sep-2009, 11:10 PM #8
Anyone? =(
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!