Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problems with corrupt files on USB memory stick

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Some knowledge
08-Sep-2009, 05:39 AM #1
Unhappy Problems with corrupt files on USB memory stick
Hi,

I have a problem with my USB memory stick. I had two very important files there and somehow they have become corrupt with the message 'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadible.' I managed to replace most of the data with back ups I had, and by downloading Recuva software, however the two corrupt file folders will not let me delete them. How can I get these two file folders deleted? Please help?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

08-Sep-2009, 07:07 AM #2
Right click on the drive in (My) Computer, choose Format... Set everything to default, un-tick the "quick/fast format" box, let it run, and the stick'll be empty.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Einstein
08-Sep-2009, 06:31 PM #3
That has a high probability of trashing the drive. If you drive is functioning perfectly fine and those directories or files don't take up to much space then I would just leave them alone.

If however they bother you go ahead and format. If they drive remains messed up it is likely dead although you can try one more thing.

Recovering Broken, Unformattable, and Ghost USB Flash Drives

The tool in this blog formats through the controller unit and is capable of repairing the most lost flash drives. If all else fails try this out.

-Nick
Computer Specs
Member with 5,116 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Sep-2009, 09:06 PM #4
Have you tried to run your antivirus/and or antispyware program on it.
Vicks
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Sep-2009, 12:07 AM #5
Age and use of the stick?

Don't expect Flash drives to last forever.... the cheaper ones ($8 for 4GB) are nothing but trouble. I've seen those things die with 3-10times of use.

So I'll stick with my $20 USB sticks... that have survived both wash and dry cycles 2-3 times
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Einstein
09-Sep-2009, 09:51 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compiler View Post
Don't expect Flash drives to last forever.... the cheaper ones ($8 for 4GB) are nothing but trouble. I've seen those things die with 3-10times of use.

So I'll stick with my $20 USB sticks... that have survived both wash and dry cycles 2-3 times
Compiler is absolutely correct in this case. All the cheaper flash drives are guaranteed to have a short lifespan. You should spend a little bit more on a nice flash drive this way you won't have to keep going back to purchase more drives.

If you happen to open that drive up, if it is a cheap one, you will probably see an unserialized NAND chip and a chipsbank controller. These are the worst products out of China.

Good luck

-nick
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
corrupt file deletion, memory stick, usb

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!