Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Power Supply Clicking Sound Problem or Normal Operation?

(!)

Member with 82 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 06:28 AM #1
Power Supply Clicking Sound Problem or Normal Operation?
Hi,

I'm using a Thermaltake Toughpower 850 (w0172ru) in this desktop I built in January.

Recently I noticed that its been making a clicking noise. The clicking sound itself is really quick, and also subtle - if I'm facing the PSU, I don't hear anything, but if turn my ears towards the direction of the PSU, I hear the high frequency clicking sound.

I disabled my onboard fans (3 of em) and now the only fans going are the PSU fans and the processor cooler - the direction of the sound is always from the PSU.

I'm at a loss and I don't know if this is normal operation sound for a PSU. The PSU hasn't failed at all and doesn't display any sounds of failing. I don't really want to go through the hassle of RMA'ing this PSU, if there isn't anything wrong with it.

From my experience, all electrical devices generate subtle noises, and I wanted to know - is this low sounding rapid chirping/clicking sound normal for power supplies? Or should I RMA with Antec, since technically they cover all their products for up to 3 years (bought it in January)?

I've searched teh forums, but all other posts about clicking sounds usually accompany burning or some larger misfortune.

Last edited by NoviceTechie; 10-Sep-2009 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: Wrong PSU
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Sep-2009, 07:00 AM #2
I would go ahead and RMA the power supply. If you open it up you void the warranty. It may be a problem as simple as a defective fan, wire or other component touching a fan blade, etc. A Chirp or a squeal is often associated with defective capacitors.
Member with 82 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 07:13 AM #3
ah, I was afraid of that. This desktop is the only one I had.

Is there an alternative though? Is there a way to distinguish between the usual operating noise and an actual defect?

The best/most accurate way I can describe the noise is that unique electrical sound you hear when you walk by an electrical plant or transformers in a city. Its like humming, but its actually crackling, or clicking, at an extremely high frequency. The sound this PSU creates is like that, but more quiet.
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 07:16 AM #4
The alternative is to install a known good power supply and see if the problem continues.
Member with 137 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 07:21 AM #5
You will have to replace it. They are not to make the noise you are hearing. One day it will stop working. At least you have an advance warning. Thermaltake is not one my top choice, but to each his own.
Member with 82 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 07:29 AM #6
tbh when I was building the rig, I wanted an Antec - but I was impatient b/c it was out of stock..

I guess I learned a lesson, /sigh.

I'm going to buy a new PSU 2day - and I ran 2 watt calculators and I only need about 500 watts. I'd like to throw in a 100 watt leeway in case I upgrade further, can you recommend a brand that's trust worthy?
Member with 137 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 08:16 AM #7
I always liked OCZ...
Computer Specs
Member with 68 posts.

Experience: XP user; no coding know.
10-Sep-2009, 08:21 AM #8
If you don't mind the slight (and I mean slight) premium for a Corsair you can't go wrong, freaking quality and runs silent as anything.

I'm using the 650W version and it's sweet xD

Link (UK)
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 08:49 AM #9
It's hard to beat a 650 or 750 Corsair.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

I don't know what chassis you are using, but when I use a mid tower chassis with three 5.25" slots or a full tower chassis with four 5.25" slots I drop my optical drives down to
the 2 bottom 5.25" slots then I have room to bundle the excess wiring and get it out of the way on the top of the top optical drive.

I zip tie my extra wires then cut down an old motherboard anti static bag, put the wires in the bag, zip tie them in the bag and it makes a nice, neat little package to lay on top of the top optical drive. If I later need one of the connectors I have tied up, all I have to do is open the package and pull out the connector and wiring I need, and put the remainder back in place.
Member with 82 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 09:49 AM #10
I was actually checking out that corsair 650TX earlier. I found it on Newegg with respectable ratings, but found it cheaper @ Mwave (http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...iteria=BA24312).

All the corsairs are claiming modular design, but are any of 'em modular in the Kingwin (http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...iteria=AA75764) sense? Tbh I've never heard of Kingwin before, but its a 660w with a lower price.

I'm a little wary buying something that looks that good, with that low a price, but I'm using a first generation Antec Nine Hundred case and since the PSU's are mounted on the bottom, there's a huge mess with cables..
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 11:20 AM #11
Kingwin is a lower qualilty power supply than Corsair. Corsair 5 year warranty, Kingwin 3 year warranty.

Also, I prefer a single +12v rail rather than multi +12v rails so I don't have to worry about power distribution.

On a modular unit you have twice as many potential points of failure in the accessory leads than you do with hard wired leads.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!