Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

2 towers, 1 monitor?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Sep-2009, 03:06 PM #1
Smile 2 towers, 1 monitor?
Hi! I'm wondering if it's possible to connect two towers to one monitor. If so, how? I have a serious memory issue with my computer (less than 1% available) and want to use a tower that was recently replaced for my daughter to put some programs on that I use, but that take up lots of memory. Can someone walk me through how to do that? Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 7,009 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Sep-2009, 03:45 PM #2
You can do that with a KVM switch, but they can be a little expensive. A cheaper and simpler approach might be to get an external hard drive.

When you say "I have a serious memory issue with my computer (less than 1% available)" do you mean that your hard drive is running out of space? If so, there might some files you can delete to make more room.

What's the make and model of your computer and how big is the hard drive?
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2009, 04:22 PM #3
Thank you for your help... I have an external hard drive. The problem is, for example, I have a Quickbooks program, but when I transfer it to the external hard drive, only the backup files go, not the program. So, if I were to delete the program from my computer, and then try to use the program just when the external hard drive is plugged in, it won't work and I will lose data.

This is the same problem I am having with both of the other large programs I operate on a daily basis... one for business and the other one is ITunes. I have found that I can store my music on the EHD, but when I try to transfer them back to my computer iTunes, some of the purchased and some of the downloaded music does not transfer back.

We purchased the original computer in early 2002. I tried to run disk defrag and got an error message telling me that there is not enough disk space to run the program, but that I should defrag the amount... can you say double-edged sword?

I can't afford to purchase a new computer at the moment. Are you saying that I couldn't attach the 2nd tower to the router I have or via USB to the original tower and switch back and forth using the same monitor?

I'm so not a tech-minded girl and I appreciate your help lots!

Thanks again!
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2009, 04:27 PM #4
forgot to tell you that I have deleted the files I thought I could do without and also transferred some to the EHD.

Do you know if I can delete earlier versions of adobe acrobat once I have upgraded to the 9.11 version? That might help, but I still don't think it's going to do enough to make a huge difference.

I'm worried that I might have something else going on, although, I admit that most of the memory problems started when i got my new Ipod for my birthday. I have now uploaded my entire CD Library to my computer into Itunes - over 1000 cd's. There has to be a better way to store my music than to have it use up my hard drive, right? I'm just worried that if I delete it after I put it on the EHD I won't be able to get all of it back again. suggestions?

Thanks again!
Computer Specs
Member with 7,009 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Sep-2009, 04:36 PM #5
What's the make and model of your computer and how big is the hard drive?

How big is the external drive and how much free space is left.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

17-Sep-2009, 04:40 PM #6
You can't run a program like Quickbooks from an external hard drive. It is licensed and has to be installed on a computer. It isn't a portable application.

Try these instructions at Apple's support site for moving the location of your iTunes library.
iTunes for Windows: Moving your iTunes Music Folder
Computer Specs
Member with 4,034 posts.

17-Sep-2009, 06:41 PM #7
u could always "clone" your present harddrive to a much larger drive......... this would be a simple way out!
free acronis 30 day trial here

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...oad/trueimage/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!