Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Optiplex 320 Dell Flashing Amber Light :/

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Sep-2009, 04:58 PM #1
Unhappy Optiplex 320 Dell Flashing Amber Light :/
Hey, Reciever80 here.

My computer a while ago got the solid amber light, and I believe i blew dust out of my case and took out/put back in the power cord and it was all good after that. Then maybe a month later, I got the flashing amber light (which was maybe 3 weeks ago).

I've used my old power supply, my current one (around 500 watts), and my second optiplex's PSU (yes i have 2--one in my study and one in my bedroom).

I've replaced the RAM, the Processor, i've disconnected all the cords, PCI cards etc. and reconnected them and it still gives me the same error.

And also, i have to unplug and plug in the power cord in order to retry the boot, and each time i do, the fan on my graphics card flutters for a single flick, and then stops. The CPU fan and PSU fan do not move.

So i figure it's the motherboard. I've looked up on the internet what busted capacitors look like, and nowhere on my motherboard is one. They all (from what i can see...) look fine, and everything seems to be running normal, however that's not the case...

Any help? I'd like to know whats wrong before i end up buying a new motherboard...

Is there anychance the motherboard warped or something? If so how can i tell?

Thanks for any help in advance....

-Reciever80

Last edited by Reciever80; 21-Sep-2009 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: added info
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

21-Sep-2009, 09:01 PM #2
bumpp eh
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

23-Sep-2009, 06:04 AM #3
bump again it already went down another page...
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

23-Sep-2009, 08:50 AM #4
You have eliminated everything that a home tester can check without equipment.

The majority of bad caps look look like good caps and nothing like the pictures posted on the internet.

Choices:
Take it it to a shop and let them check it. End results wil probably be: It is a bad cap (meaniong we couldn't find anything else wrong), and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Replace the motherboard. Do it yourself or have a friend who is a computer whiz do it for a case. (Case to be delivered only after the job is done or course)

If you do it yourself and it is the first time, check for How To's onthe internet. There are good ones with pictures. Might even find one for your specific model. Heard Optiplex MB's are notoiuos for bad caps.

Also checkout crjdriver's post "Moving a windows install or swapping motherboards without a clean install of windows". Sticky located at TechGuys Hardware Forum.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/8...herboards.html
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

24-Sep-2009, 06:00 PM #5
Cool thanks I'll make sure to check that out, and Confirmation was much appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

12-Oct-2009, 03:13 PM #6
Yeah, it turns out it was a bad motherboard. Got it replaced, and now it's back to normal. Thanks!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!