Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Screeching noise

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Sep-2009, 05:53 PM #1
Screeching noise
Five or so days ago, my computer started making a very loud screeching noise and it sounded like a fan was slowing down to a stop or having trouble continuing to run. I restarted it and heard the noise again so I removed the side in order to find the origin of the sound, which seemed to be coming from the CPU fan. There were cables near it which I moved but none seemed to be hitting it in the first place and the fan wasn't loose.

The sound stopped until I attempted to move my computer back to its original position which started the noise up again. It stopped, started again when I replaced the side, and stopped once again. I didn't hear the sound after that and restarted my computer a few hours later (and again when Windows updated in the middle of the night). My computer has been on for five days now (I generally leave it on all the time) and I haven't heard the noise again and everything seems to be running normally. However, whenever my computer is restarted I hear a few "scraping" noises and then everything boots normally. I don't know if that's normal or not but I've never noticed it until now.

I have a hard time believing that this noise occured for "no reason" and am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about or what caused the noise. I haven't been using my computer too heavily since then (i.e. playing games, watching videos, having multiple applications open, etc) so I'm wondering if this decreased usage is what's stopping the noise from happening again.

The specs from my profile:
eMachines W3650
Windows XP
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB
Intel Celeron 440 2.0ghz w/ Intel stock fan
2MB RAM
Delta 250 Watt Power Supply
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

24-Sep-2009, 07:11 PM #2
hi and welcome to TSG turn off your machine remove the side panel and check the heatsink and fan are connected firmly by the clips
Member with 36 posts.

24-Sep-2009, 07:19 PM #3
Ok let me tell you something about the system settings in general. Every time you overload the CPU or it gets hot, normally computer systems these days come with special settings that make the CPU fan runs faster to decrease the temperature. So there could be a chance that the noise is happening when the fans try to runs faster.

There is more probability that the noise is coming from moving parts than any other place. Failing chips or a bad HDD create some noise but not something like the thing you are describing.

But well anything on computers could happen.

I will recommend you to reduce probabilities like, if you have more than one fan inside the PC, unplug all the fans and live working only the one from the CPU.

Then see if the noise keeps coming. If yes, I will recommend change the CPU fan.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

25-Sep-2009, 02:41 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
hi and welcome to TSG turn off your machine remove the side panel and check the heatsink and fan are connected firmly by the clips
The fan my computer currently uses is connected with screws instead of the push pins. All of them are firmly screwed into place.
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

26-Sep-2009, 09:28 AM #5
hi ok thats good i think you should follow jessicalore suggestion and i agree with her you may need to replace the part
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!