Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: PC doesn't start up ; PC crashes at Windows XP logo / loading screen

(!)

Senior Member with 100 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
22-Oct-2009, 11:37 AM #1
Solved: PC doesn't start up ; PC crashes at Windows XP logo / loading screen
My desktop pc has recently started to not load up / boot when I turn it on.

When it manages to turn itself on it all works ok. However oftentimes I have to turn it on and turn it off repeatedly until it finally starts to function.

After going through the same problem today, the pc finally turned on properly and I got into Windows. A few moments after that, the electricity was cut.

Now the pc manages to load up until the Windows XP logo and then crashes. At the loading screen the pc makes three grinding sounds (don't know how to call this... my pc is purring at me O.o ). A blue screen appears for a split second and the pc reboots. No matter what option I select, be it to load in safe mode, last good configuration, and so on, the pc always resets at the XP loading process.

I believe it has something to do with hardware because of the issue with the pc intermittently not even booting up.

I am not too savvy when it comes to pc's, can someone suggest what may be wrong?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Oct-2009, 11:47 AM #2
That has happened to me do you have a backup disk for windows? If you do pop it into the CD/DVD drive and it should run and restore the system i didn't have one but a friend lent me a windows xp disk and i ran that and it now works

22-Oct-2009, 11:50 AM #3
I could attempt a repair but I doubt it is software related. Even because i have reinstalled windows very recently. I'll try however, just to see if it crashes again.

22-Oct-2009, 12:25 PM #4
On my hard disk I have two partitions, one C: where windows is installed and another one F: which is smaller and mostly empty

When I type DIR in the windows recovery console under drive C:, I get a delay and an error. When I do the same under drive F: I get the list of files without delay.

Could the hard disk be causing the no-boot when I turn the pc on? When I say the pc doesn't boot i mean it just remains dead, lights turn on, but it's dead.

It's strange even for the hard disk cos last time I performed a system check i got no bad sectors.
Member with 33 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Oct-2009, 01:29 PM #5
if its makin grindin noises at you, you might run some hard drive tests to see if that's the problem. if you don't have any programs to do that you might check into havin it looked at.
Member with 33 posts.

22-Oct-2009, 01:30 PM #6
what program are you using to check the hdd

22-Oct-2009, 02:03 PM #7
When everything still worked ok, windows' system check. I had no repair option in the windows setup because my windows installation is in C:\WINXP ; I'm trying to access the files by installing Linux temporarily and then I'll make a format if renaming the WINXP folder to WINDOWS doesn't make the "Repair windows" option appear in the windows setup.

Last edited by sailormoon21; 22-Oct-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Member with 33 posts.

22-Oct-2009, 02:42 PM #8
do you have any type of boot cd? os anything like that?

22-Oct-2009, 05:29 PM #9
I've solved the problem about the OS. I have downloaded UBUNTU LIVE CD and managed to get to the drives through that. However my files had accidentally been deleted when I agreed to format the partition, believing it would only format the partition instead of the entire drive! So well, I lost files I'd have rather not part with but it doesn't matter.

I have formatted the HDD and reinstalled windows (for the umpteenth time, seems like the reinstallation&reinstallation grind comes always in batches from time to time!). Things seem to work normally. Probably until I will leave the pc off for a day, then it will fail to start up once again.

Half the problem is solved, I'd still like to know what are your views about the start up problem however.
Member with 33 posts.

22-Oct-2009, 06:01 PM #10
idk.. i use hirens boot cd to run all the tests on my computers... and it usually leads me in the right direction. if you couldn't get into the os i would''ve taken out the hard drive connected to my comp backed up the data zero-write the hdd then re-installed on it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blue screen, crash, logo, reboot, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!